Please help my neighbor choose a computer.

Virginian17

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I got such great help for myself on your laptop board that a neighbor has asked me to post here on his behalf.

He is blind and has been using Windows XP with JAWS screenreader on an old Dell desktop. Both the screenreader and the computer are outdated now, and he is looking to move to better versions of both.

His son has been looking at a 30 percent off sale on Dells and apparently found a good deal on a 600-700 dollar computer for between 400 and 500 dollars. I asked him about the specs, but he needs to ask his son. He is open to any make or model that is quality and fast and recommended.

Could you please recommend a good, fast computer with good audio in this general price range, and explain why it's good? The computer will be used for websurfing, listening to music and sports games, email, and some general office work. I believe his grandchildren play some very simple games on his old computer occasionally (e.g., Deep Sea Tycoon), but gaming/anything visual is definitely not a priority, as the computer is used by the blind owner 99 percent of the time. Mainly, his frustrations with the old computer have had to do with slowness or freezing up when he tries to listen to music or sports while doing something else at the same time.

The screen reader company told him that the new versions of JAWS work well with Windows 7 or 8, so operating system really doesn't matter. In fact, my sense is that he would rather have the most recent (to last longest) system available, so I think he is leaning toward learning 8.1.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or comments. Thank you so much for being here!

Solution

Virginian17

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

He has an old CRT monitor and would rather keep it. He wants just a new computer and a wireless keyboard.

M0j0jojo

Honorable
Solution

Virginian17

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

You mean the Asus? Thank you very much! I suspect that integrated graphics will be just fine.

I really appreciate the recommendation.

Virginian17

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

I have been wondering about that, too...I've heard 8.1 is frustrating enough for those who are sighted. I think he is talking to a lot of people about that.