please help, no POST after clearing cmos...

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
so i built my pc... it went to the BIOS perfectly. then i turned it off... the second time i turned it on it said "USB Over Current Status Detected. THE PC WILL BE SHUT DOWN IN 15 SECONDS!" to fix this, i cleared the cmos. but when i started the computer again, all fans and lights are on, but the monitor acts if theres no signal and i don't hear any beeps... please help anyone :(
my specs are:
cpu: q9450
motherboard: asus p5e
graphics card: zotac 9800gx2
ram: g. skill 2x2 gb ddr2 1000
psu: corsair 620hx

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
No beeps sounds like a power connection is missing or not properly made.

If that's not it, I'd assemble your MB outside the case. It could be a stand-off in the wrong spot causing a short.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
take all the components out (cpu ram gpu) and put pack in someting might be loose make sure everything is connected. oh ya take the cmos battery out and disconnect power supply so there is no power. happened to me once all i did remove cmos battery and psu still didnt work, left everyting unplugged overnite next morning started to work dont no y but it did.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
i disassembled then put it back together and tried to boot it with 1 stick of ram outside the case, i still get no beeps and nothing on monitor but all the fans are running. the thing is though, it was only after clearing the cmos that i had this problem.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
i cleared the cmos by removing the battery then putting it back in. i do have the 4 pin cpu connector connected. i already tried removing anything having to do with usb. what am i going to do....

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Try clearing the CMOS one more time using the clear cmos jumper this time. Make sure you unplug the power supply cable and then push the power button. This will clear the cmos.

Now try booting to bios with the cpu, video card, one stick of ram, and of course your monitor connected. No Hard drives or DVD drives. If that works, then connect the other devices. Add the other stick of ram last. Good luck

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Hey this could be a few things.

Could be buggy BIOS. Did you flash it when it first fired up?

Oldie but a goodie - reseat everything

Sounds like power. Pull out all power connections and look inside the sockets. Make sure non of the connectors are pushed in. This is easy to do, and will stop anything from working.

Eliminate the PSU - can you try on another machine?

Good luck

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
According to the Asus manual, the correct procedure to clear the CMOS is as follows. 1 - unplug power cord. 2 - remove onboard battery. 3 - move switch marked CLRTC_SW from Disable(default position) to Enable. Keep switch on Enable for 5~10 seconds, then move switch back to Disable. 4 - reinstall battery. 5 - plug computer back in and turn on. 6 - hold down <Del> key during boot to enter BIOS setup.

Do you have a speaker hooked up to the onboard connector??? Looks like this board doesn't have a built in one. It's connected to the connector on the bottom right of the board as installed. You should be familiar with this connector as that is where the power switch, reset and other front panel leds connect. (Uses the Q-connector??)

You should get 1 short beep, as normal. One continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps indicates Hardware Component failure. I'm not sure if you'll get any beeps on a motherboard if the CPU is dead or not installed. Maybe I'll try that later and see what happens.

Lastly, that MB supports the Crash Free BIOS utility. Supposed to be able to fix a bad BIOS flash or corrupted BIOS by booting to a BIOS DVD or USB flash drive. If this is the case, the MB can "boot" to a point even with a bad BIOS. Normally your kinda screwed cuz a bad BIOS means no boot at all.

If you can, test your CPU on another machine to verify it didn't get killed.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
damn nothing i try seems to work.... i think i messed it up by removing the battery and not moving from disable to enable and just reinstalling the battery. should i rma?

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Got a few more questions for you:

1. The aux CPU power connector, are you using the 4 pin or 8 pin connector. I looked up your PSU and it has both, I don't think it really matters what one you use just to get it to boot, but what the heck, try em both.

2. Can you verify that it did in deed beep for you the one time it booted???

3. Can you make sure the CLRTC_SW switch is in the DISABLED position??? I can't really see the switch, but the line drawings in the manual look like it should be to the right for Disabled.

4. Can you verify that you did test the MB out of the case with just the bare minimum connected as "rouge" suggested??? Just CPU and fan, Video card, stick of ram and of course the PSU. Make sure both power connectors are connected to the MB as well as the 2 power connectors on the video card you have... if I'm lookin at the right model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=14-500-026-06.jpg&Image=14-500-026-06.jpg%2c14-500-026-07.jpg%2c14-500-026-08.jpg%2c14-500-026-09.jpg%2c14-500-026-10.jpg%2c14-500-026-11.jpg%2c14-500-026-12.jpg%2c14-500-026-05.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16814500026&Depa=1&Description=ZOTAC+GeForce+9800+GX2+ZT-98TEY2P-FSP+Video+Card

5. I highly doubt you damaged anything when you first reset the CMOS. As for the power supply, if all the fans are running and the onboard LED is lit, It's prob still good. No guarantee, it's best to test with a second known good PSU.

6. I think the USB over current was the first and most telling indication. Might have been a MB short as installed in the case or a MB defect. Might have been just enough that something on the MB got zapped and is preventing it from ever booting again.

I think the MB is probably cooked, just my opinion without testing it myself. Do any final tests and RMA it if you can.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
1. i'm using a 4 pin connecter for cpu, the eight pin wont fit.
2. first time it booted perfectly with a beep, second time it had the usb error.
3. yes
4. yes
5. i dont have another psu to test with
6. possibly

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think it'll change anything, but the 4 pin connector on the MB is actually an 8 pin connector, there's a small black cap covering half of the connector showing only 4 of the pins....

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

having read this thread,,two things spring to mind,,1,,is that ram compatible with that mobo?? and 2,,quit playing around with it and rma the damned thing,you have done everything that can be done,and ,,, if the board is fairly new less than 30 days then it should be a nobrainer,it is not worth the hassel to continue in the present vain,,??who needz the static,,,??:)