please help omg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
Please someone help me figure out why after windows 8.1 installs and restarts it goes yo black screen.

I'm using on board graphics.
Updated bios two days ago and it kept freezing at boot since then.
Put windows disc in to do clean install. Now it wont [watch your language] load passed the windows install.
If I plug in my 980ti and try to load windows disc it freezes on gigabyte screen. Please someone.

Solution
you will have to measure your CPU cooler, if you have one, and check it against the measurements of the RAM DIMM slots location on any new board. if they are too close to the CPU you may not be able to fit. though using DIMM slot 2 & 4 usually fixes this issue.
any 1150 socket board should fit any modern cooler. standard backplates with 212, H series Corsairs, and probably anything else from the last few years.

with PCIe slots; if you have a 2 or 3 slot sized GPU and still want to use your PCIe x1 slot you will have to make sure there is enough room between the PCIe x1 slot and the main x16 slot. should be pretty easy to tell by images of the board.

with ASUS & MSI customer support I have had pretty good experiences. they have usually...

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

This is the update. I reset my pc so many damn times i know i have to have messed up something but....
I finally got to the windows screen, was on desktop for 5 minutes before it froze on me and keyboard and mouse shut off but fans and case were still on. Honestly i am worried that the updated bios messed up my GPU, a mother board is easy to replace, but a 700 dollar GPU is a diff story. I just got my windows 8.1 disc in the mail too wondering if that will make a difference. I don't have access to another pc to make a media iso so this will have to do. I also worry that installing windows so many times messed up my SSD, i don't know I'm so tired and just so frustrated.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
The main issue man is when I installed windows, it completed installation, rebooted, and went black like i lost signal with keyboard and mouse not working but pc still on. That is what happened over 25 times today. Sometimes it would get to the Personalize Windows screen and go black after that process. Finally it went to desktop and froze black. When I boot Windows Boot Manager it says What do you want to boot, there is a list of...
Windows 8.1 vol 4
Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1

the bottom two i picked didn't boot missing the boot file, they must be old, the first one at least booted somewhat before going to black screen.

It's nothing related to Windows because it freezes in the BIOS, and the BIOS is a separate entity. The Windows 8.1 installation won't fix anything.

Here's what I can rule out: GPU, CPU, PSU. Why? I know it's not the GPU because it freezes even with integrated graphics. I doubt it's the CPU, it's rare for those to break, and this doesn't seem like it did. The only thing I can think about is the motherboard. Or RAM. Try using one single stick of RAM.

the two times i've seen your motherboard it had 50% 1 out of 5 ratings. that's pretty bad. there is a good chance it is the cause of this, hopefully the new board fares better.
ASUS has had the best overall experience for me out of 10+ years. just make sure it has all the SATA ports you will need, enough space for PCIe devices, space for RAM with your CPU cooler installed, and good user ratings. with that 4790K you should stick with Z97 chipset.

unless the BIOS update caused some crazy power surge(which is very highly unlikely) it could not have damaged your other components. even if the GPU had gone bad it wouldn't be effecting the keyboard/mouse. also the SSD can take a lot more reading/writing than you have accomplished going through this. no need to worry about it being damaged either. just make sure you totally format the disk with your new Windows install.
and avoiding BIOS updates as someone suggested is not always the best idea. many times they offer performance increases for their platform. just read release notes and make sure it's something worth it and that you follow specific instructions when updating.

good luck

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Thanks for the response. I only worry about the GPU because of the fact it hung at the Gigabyte logo screen and froze there and the on board graphics got thru to install windows, even tho that still froze at the end. And I did think I was doing everything right with the bios upgrade it said increase performance with sata I just went to far up with the most recent I shouldn't have went all the way up. Anyway thanks I will look into Asus, and keep those specs in mind. I do want somewhat of a future proof board with plenty of roomm for everything I need. How will I know by the way if it fits the cpu cooler? are there any certain specs I need to know or do most good motherboards support most coolers like the hyper evo 12 and h100i?
And thats good to know that my hardware wouldn't get damaged easily if any by that flash. I just wonder because EVGA said if it was a bad bios flash maybe it can cause problems with the gpu that they could help me work through the problem and possibly replace so I guess I don't need to worry about that too much. Anyway imma head out and start shopping for a motherboard. Thanks again.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
Oh by the way, the motherboard i had served me very well for near 3 years and still would be kicking if i wasn't stupid enough to update bios to the flash i went with. :) Im just not thrilled with customer service, although i get the feeling most motherboard customer service is like that but won't speak ill bout others until i deal with them personally.

you will have to measure your CPU cooler, if you have one, and check it against the measurements of the RAM DIMM slots location on any new board. if they are too close to the CPU you may not be able to fit. though using DIMM slot 2 & 4 usually fixes this issue.
any 1150 socket board should fit any modern cooler. standard backplates with 212, H series Corsairs, and probably anything else from the last few years.

with PCIe slots; if you have a 2 or 3 slot sized GPU and still want to use your PCIe x1 slot you will have to make sure there is enough room between the PCIe x1 slot and the main x16 slot. should be pretty easy to tell by images of the board.

with ASUS & MSI customer support I have had pretty good experiences. they have usually offered very basic fix procedures and then went straight to the RMA process. I even had ASUS offer to pay for the return shipping once, just sent me a prepaid label.
ASRock was terrible. once blamed me for memory slots going bad and would not offer RMA at all, another time blamed me for a board being dead-on-arrival. luckily retailer I purchase from refunded the money with no hassle.

Solution

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

ah nice... i don't know what I'm looking for actually would this fit the cooler

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Motherboard-Z97-PRO-GAMER-Retail/dp/B00PT5E32M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456970190&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+z97+pro+gamer+atx+lga1150

or the asus z97 pro gamer