please help omg

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
Please someone help me figure out why after windows 8.1 installs and restarts it goes yo black screen.

I'm using on board graphics.
Updated bios two days ago and it kept freezing at boot since then.
Put windows disc in to do clean install. Now it wont [watch your language] load passed the windows install.
If I plug in my 980ti and try to load windows disc it freezes on gigabyte screen. Please someone.

Solution
you will have to measure your CPU cooler, if you have one, and check it against the measurements of the RAM DIMM slots location on any new board. if they are too close to the CPU you may not be able to fit. though using DIMM slot 2 & 4 usually fixes this issue.
any 1150 socket board should fit any modern cooler. standard backplates with 212, H series Corsairs, and probably anything else from the last few years.

with PCIe slots; if you have a 2 or 3 slot sized GPU and still want to use your PCIe x1 slot you will have to make sure there is enough room between the PCIe x1 slot and the main x16 slot. should be pretty easy to tell by images of the board.

with ASUS & MSI customer support I have had pretty good experiences. they have usually...
How about watching your language, no matter your frustration level, this is still a family oriented site. Most likely your BIOS update failed, dont update your BIOS unless you have a specific reason for doing so. It isnt like drivers that need to be updated frequently.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Oh i didn't know this post got through. Hm i just got a brand new PSU 850w Super Nova by EVGA. When it restarted i didn't choose boot, i just let it go. When it restarts I need to hit Boot Menu and go to SSD? Ill try that

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Sorry. And the bios went to 100% and during reboot process it went through, and at windows logo froze.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Ok once it installed and rebooted i hit f12, selected the SSD, and it loading windows logo, said Getting Ready and went to 100% and went to a black screen and now its stuck on black screen. Num lock won't light up so I know its frozen. Please help.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

maybe i need to take the disc out of the drive? cuz i think its 2nd to boot i only have 2 things in there i unplugged my hdd. i don't know what else it can be

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

or is it the fact that it was a disc that was provided with windows already pre installed on this system when i bought it. i since then added a new gpu, cpu cooler, and psu as well as new case. maybe i should try this with gnu unplugged from pci slot?

First, although they do update the BiOS from time to time, if you are not having any issues, then it is best to just leave it alone. Too much can go wrong and leave your motherboard helpless. Having said that, they are making it easier and safer to do that. You said that you did a Clean install of the Operating systems. You also left the impression that you have Multiple Drives in there ( SSD & Hdd ). When you are installing the OS, may sure the other drive is unplugged, DATA Cable and Power Cable. I have had to go back and reinstall becuase I forgot to unplug my Hdds and the install was corrupted. Once you have the Clean Install. make sure your Boot Device is set to the right drive.

you stated that you got to 100% of the Windows installation but then nothing but black screen?

i would attempt the Windows installation again with only the SSD installed. GPU shouldn't matter but you may want to try with onboard graphics only. the fact that it had a previous OEM Windows install would have no effect here either.
if it hits that black screen again just let it sit for 20-30mins. sometimes an install can hang but still finish up eventually.

if you believe there may be a problem with the optical drive you can try it from a USB flash drive. though it getting to 100% once probably means this isn't the case. try MS installation creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

if there is a problem with the BIOS update you should have an option to roll back to previous from within the BIOS.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

yup i did all that still nothing, i even took out gpu and one stick of memory.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

thats what gigabyte said but why won't windows install :( is it my windows key that came with the system or what cuz i did this fine before bios update but had a media of windows 8.1 not the disc they gave me

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

i can't get media image only other computer in house is stupid sisters macbook. i am getting copy of windows from amazon today but i might return it thats 100 dollars i can save unless u think it will make difference

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
Ok everyone i tried to reply to each of you. I am letting it go at the black screen hoping it will install correctly. I honestly don't know what to do. I have my GPU out of the system, I'm using on board graphics, took out one stick of memory, unplugged my HDD and using the new SSD. Im not sure what the issue could be. I don't think its the bios update because i can go in the bios and everything fine, its when I try to install windows and it gets to 100% and setting up your PC etc, it goes to a black screen and no lights on my keyboard work, such as num lock. I honestly don't know what my next step is...do I need a new motherboard..the people at cyberpower seem to think so, I can't flash back to f4 because f8 prohibits it and I'm on f9. gigabyte is no help at all they say its not bios and to do all these steps which I've done numerous times all night. Please anyone I'm desperate for some insight. Windows customer support can't help, Gigabyte can't help, cyberpower pc can't help, evga can't help even tho I may give them a call back. To sum up this is what I have...

gtx980ti
ga z97 hd3 motherboard
i7 4790k
500 gb ssd 2tb hdd

please help me and thanks for everyone taking the time to respond to me.

I need a little refresher here. So you turn on the computer. Do you see a post screen? Does it show the Gigabyte logo? If yes, then, does it boot to Windows at all? Then, if so, what are these "black outs"? Is the video output all black, or does the monitor lose signal while the computer remains on?

First, you will not get much from Cyberpower. I have warned people away from buying PCs from them as I have seen countless horror stories from folks who did. Now, from your description, the keyboard is becoming disabled in the process and that would lead back to the USB, if is not Wireless, and even if it was wireless, it would still go back to it, meaning a Motherboard Issue. If you get to the Gigabyte Splash screen then is POSTing, which is obvious as you were able to install the OS. The problem seems to arise during the set up after installation. You lose the signal when it goes into s et up as well as the keyboard. At this point, I am not ruling out a hardware issue, but am leaning towards a software thing in the way it is being handled. You didn't say what OS you were installing. There is a definite conflict between the Motherboard and you OS as you are losing you USB ( Keyboard as well as Graphics ( Onboard )). It could well be that BiOS flash you did. As I said, if things are working, then you should not do a flash, even though there is one.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

i see gigabyte screen, it loads windows, and actually i got it to the main desktop page now but after 4 minutes it cuts into a black screen. the pc and fans remain on..although my mouse and keyboard don't work and lights aren't on. thats what happened earlier too, it would install windows, after windows reboot process when installation was finished it would cut black like lost signal, although i hit num lock and no light came on and mouse light went off but fans and pc were on.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

I was young and naive never again am i buying a prebuilt system. never again am i updating bios. and i was trying to install a cyber power pc 8.1 windows disc. that sounds right it was losing keyboard, mouse, and picture. ITs very disconcerning as windows, cyber power, and gigabyte all think my brand new sad and older hdd is corrupted. i finally got in touch with this one guy from gigabyte who knew what he was doing i was getting hosed by ppl all day messing my stuff up even more. I'm very exhausted and i am going through with an RMA but not sure how my board will come back even then. Maybe just buy a new board. But also, when I plug in my graphics card, 980ti, i can't get passed the Gigabyte logo, it hangs there and freezes. I pray to God this process didn't mess up my 700 dollar GPU

This sounds like a hardware issue definitely. Motherboard or power supply related. What exact 850W Supernova PSU is it?

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKDETOC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

thats the one i got and i got it like last week. everything was fine until i updated the bios, i mean everything. Do you think if i get a new motherboard everything will be ok?