Question PLEASE HELP packet loss 100%

Nov 1, 2020
Please help

I’ve been experiencing high amounts of packet loss lately and can not find the reasoning as to why, initial thought was ISP issues so they came out and replaced all the lines (bless them for actually trying for once), when no change occurred I decided to go out and purchase a new modem (problem still occurs), next I figured maybe it was my Ethernet cord (swapped to new one problem still occurs) I’m running a windows 10 machine with an ASUS rog x570 mb.

Using ping plotter I was able to see that my packet loss is substantial, sometimes beginning at hop 1 which would be my modem correct? It’s very random as well sometimes it will be fine for hours then randomly start acting up again. Upwards of 80% packets lost sometimes.

With essentially all new hardware I’m at a loss in the little technical skill I have and in need of help desperately. Any suggestions no matter how small will be appreciated

here’s a ping plotter screen grab to show example of issue

I will assume you are using ethernet and the device you replaced you call a modem is also a router.

This almost has to be your PC. You have tried the cable which would be the only other thing in the path.

First be sure not of that "gamer" network software is install. Asus bundles it with some of their motherboards and it causes all kinds of strange issues.

Maybe disable IPv6 support in your nic settings and see if using IPv4 gives any different results.

You could try a USB linux boot image. This would let you test your hardware without messing up the windows install.

Nov 1, 2020
I will assume you are using ethernet and the device you replaced you call a modem is also a router.

This almost has to be your PC. You have tried the cable which would be the only other thing in the path.

First be sure not of that "gamer" network software is install. Asus bundles it with some of their motherboards and it causes all kinds of strange issues.

Maybe disable IPv6 support in your nic settings and see if using IPv4 gives any different results.

You could try a USB linux boot image. This would let you test your hardware without messing up the windows install.
I uninstalled game first the second I built the machine.

Nov 1, 2020

Also I had a arris sb8200 modem paired with an ASUS RT-N66U router. Just to diagnose if those were the issue I replaced them with a 2in1 Arris SBG10 modem router combo (which I know isn’t ideal just a temporary tool to trouble shoot that I plan on returning) I’ve tried 3 different Ethernet cords to rule out the chance of just a faulty cord. Cox replaced all the lines from my home to the node. This issues wasn’t always occurring either I had months of perfect internet on this machine it’s only as of the last few weeks I’ve been having problems like this

TRENDING THREADS