Question Please help! PC crashing-processor at 40%

Mar 3, 2021
Let me explain for start.....
My rig is this:
-Motherboard: ASUS P7H55-M/USB3
-CPU: Xeon X3450 2.67Ghz (not overclocked, stock settings with Intel's stock cooler)
-RAM: 2x4gb Kingston 1333hz
-GPU: Sapphire RX470D Platinum 4GB
-PSU: RealPower EcoSilent 600W 80+ Bronze
-Storage: SSD Silicon Power 256GB (i think is A55)
-System: Win10 PRO 20H2 OS build 19042.844

I use it normally nothing special like rendering or stuff like that. Just some gaming and such. Everything worked like a charm for like almost a year,and all of a sudden i got random freezes (only in PUBG at first). Screen goes black, you hear that buzzing sound since game hang in certain place and you can't do anything but restart the PC. At first checking if there are some updates (for windows and GPU) would fix it for several days. Then the problem will come back again. After a while the freezes started happening more and more often (but only in PUBG, since i play other "high-end" games which can get a PC at bigger load like Sekiro, Witcher 3, Guilty Gear Xrd, Little Nightmares) so i thought maybe theres something with my SSD. So i did everythink that i can with it... the usual stuff. Optimize it, check for disc errors,registry errors, missing system files, power menagment but the damn thing didn't stop. In fact after a while, it started happening in other games, where i can't play more than 30-60 seconds. So i started testing everything..... My Gpu was gaining some heat (like 85c in load). Changed the thermal paste, thermal pads, clean her up so now she is at steady 38-50 something max. Changed Processors thermal paste just in case it never got hot but why not, and nothing fixed the crashing. So i thought maybe some drivers are colliding (usually HD audio drivers can get some problems, since i was experiencing crashes ONLY in gaming where they are used mostly). And in the end i formated SSD and installed a new clean copy of Windows 10 and nothing fixed it until today.
In power menagement i played around with Processor Minimum and Maxiumum States and now the damn thing works.......
My minimum processor state is at 30% and maximum at 40% and that's the ONLY way it works without crashing.
Of course this is not a solution since i lost many frames and loads in games so i wanna know where the problem could be......PSU and CPU are my two biggest suspects (since i tested RAM's with memory diagnostics, swapped places, making sure they are firmly installed....the usual thing)

Can anyone specify what is actually happening...is my CPU failing or my PSU, so i could maybe replace one or the other (it's kinda hard to find someone who has a spare part or willing to remove it from their rig to give me to test it, so if anyone knows how can i make sure where exactly to look at it would be very halpful)
THX in advance for the answer and sorry for my little bad english, i hope you understand.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Set your cpu to regular settings and run prime 95 for a few hours if it crashes its probably cpu. If it doesn't its probably psu. (You should prob also run furmark on gpu if it crashes in prime 95. If both crash its prob psu)

Mar 3, 2021
Set your cpu to regular settings and run prime 95 for a few hours if it crashes its probably cpu. If it doesn't its probably psu. (You should prob also run furmark on gpu if it crashes in prime 95. If both crash its prob psu)
ok thx for the reply. so as i understand (please correct me if i'm wrong i wanna do this correctly)
i need to start with the prime95 stress test on cpu (torture test - blend??? and if by any chance it doesn't crash for how many hours is a good time to see if it's stable?)
then furmark for gpu, and then i didn't understand the last part...if both crash it's PSU? woudln't that mean that GPU or CU are the problem?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Well its unlikely both yiur cpu and GPU are failing. However it could be possible that either one at max load will overload the psu causing a crash. Id suggest 2 hours or so on prime 85 just to be sure but you can prob do more like 30 mins.

Mar 3, 2021
Well its unlikely both yiur cpu and GPU are failing. However it could be possible that either one at max load will overload the psu causing a crash. Id suggest 2 hours or so on prime 85 just to be sure but you can prob do more like 30 mins.
left prime to do it's work while i'm in bed so...11 hours without crashing on blend stress with no errors. now i did furmark for about 30 minutes on 1080p (which i use, i never go above) and anti-aliasing MXAAx8 (rarely enabling it in games) just to make sure the GPU is at highest load for my usage. didn't crash, no opengl errors and temps were from 42c-77c (only one spike at 79c at highest load). so it's safe to assume it is PSU since as i read if there are any errors with memory the Prime95 would get them while doing stress test. Now i just need to borrow one stronger PSU from someone and see how it goes, but i am very thankful for all the help you gave me. Will write IF and WHEN problem is resolved, hopefully helping anyone else that's experiencing the same stuff happening

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
No problem. It is still possible that something else might be the cause, you never really know, but it definitely is not your cpu or gpu that's the problem. I think I remember you saying you ran memtest 86, right? If not your should run that for a full four passes just in case. It'll at least give you something to do while you wait to test with a new PSU.

Mar 3, 2021
No problem. It is still possible that something else might be the cause, you never really know, but it definitely is not your cpu or gpu that's the problem. I think I remember you saying you ran memtest 86, right? If not your should run that for a full four passes just in case. It'll at least give you something to do while you wait to test with a new PSU.
so i tried cleaning my PSU from dust (just in case, nothing special it didn't seem that dirty at all) and also disabled turbo boost on my processor so i can maybe return it's maximum state at 100% and it's better, but not solved. i can play 2, maaaaaybe 3 matches in pubg before it crashes. Then i asked my friend to borrow his PSU that works flawlessly so far, same with 600w but Chieftec so...maybe a bit better one, and the results are the same since i cleaned my PSU...2 or 3 matches tops before it crashes (so like half and hour or so). same thing.
now i am confused as hell......
(although i need to add that his PSU didn't have a 8pin connector for the processor so i used 4pin, as i know, it can work like that if the wattage requirements are met and CPU s not overclocked)
and no i didn't do memtest86 just windows diagnostic for memory...will try that one too but the last time it didn't boot from my usb for some reason

larkspur

Distinguished
Yeah run Memtest86 for sure. I realize you suspect other components but you really need to make sure it isn't a RAM problem. It's a good idea to run Memtest through at least 4 passes (more is better so you might want to run it overnight). It'll take awhile, but worth it if you can rule out the RAM...

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
so i tried cleaning my PSU from dust (just in case, nothing special it didn't seem that dirty at all) and also disabled turbo boost on my processor so i can maybe return it's maximum state at 100% and it's better, but not solved. i can play 2, maaaaaybe 3 matches in pubg before it crashes. Then i asked my friend to borrow his PSU that works flawlessly so far, same with 600w but Chieftec so...maybe a bit better one, and the results are the same since i cleaned my PSU...2 or 3 matches tops before it crashes (so like half and hour or so). same thing.
now i am confused as hell......
(although i need to add that his PSU didn't have a 8pin connector for the processor so i used 4pin, as i know, it can work like that if the wattage requirements are met and CPU s not overclocked)
and no i didn't do memtest86 just windows diagnostic for memory...will try that one too but the last time it didn't boot from my usb for some reason
So did the other PSU fix it or was your PC still doing the 2 to 3 matches before crashing thing? I'd say that if your cpu checks out in prime 95, your gpu checks out in furmark, and your ram checks out in a full 4 passes of memtest then you probably just need a bigger PSU (maybe a 750 watt)?

Mar 3, 2021
So did the other PSU fix it or was your PC still doing the 2 to 3 matches before crashing thing? I'd say that if your cpu checks out in prime 95, your gpu checks out in furmark, and your ram checks out in a full 4 passes of memtest then you probably just need a bigger PSU (maybe a 750 watt)?
Nah it is still the same thing with other PSU. Did memtest86 on one ram at the time.....first one had 11 passess overnight, currently running the second one (2passes clean for now).
As for the PSU, yeah you may be right....but on the other hand i did check the wattage calculator on several sites and my score is always around 450-500w needed. On the other hand mine is 600w but "80+ bronze", so ,with those marks on it, even if you can't be sure that PSU has realistic 600 watts, since 80+ bronze is basically what.....like.... 3rd class of quality, i guess it can produce at least 500+ watts evenly. Almost certain it can run my rig......and on the other hand too.....i didn't upgrade anything and it worked like that for almost a year. Again....maybe it is but i have a feeling it should be enough power.

Well since i am even more clueless now if the memtest on second ram passess, i rememebred something, so correct me if i am wrong but maybe i can check something about that too. I remember i had some error reports in reliability event viewer about IRQ (or something called like that), when my pc crashes. I read about it before it has something to do with HD audio drivers coliding with other drivers making conflicts. Because i remembered that, when i recently installed clean new OS of win10 among other things that i did, i didn't install any of Realtek Audio Drivers, just in case. And yeah, when i check reliability for major errors after a crash, i don't see anymore that IRQ coliding problem that was present before. But, even if there is nothing specified i would like to be sure and remove all HD audio drivers. Now heres a catch.....my RX 470d platinum only has HDMI port for the monitor, so naturally even when i uninstall HD audio drivers (AMD ones are left since Realtek is no more) it reinstalls them back again...probably becuase GPU needs a way to comunicate throug the HDMI, so i don't know how to try removing them totally. Whatever i do they are back, and if i disable them in device menager, i dont have sound. Some people suggested reinstalling GPU drivers but choosing custom installation (where you untick the part where it asks you to install audio drivers) but newer Adrenaline driver updates dont have a custom installation option. When you install drivers for GPU it automatically does all the stuff so i don't know what to do about that too. I really hope it's that since.....i am kinda grabbing a straw here, it never happened that i can't pinpoint the problem. I'm not an expert but kinda tech-savy.....but this is really too confusing even for me

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Have you tried resetting your CMOS? If not def do that. Also, go ahead and try installing the latest BIOS etc etc. Maybe try booting in safe mode and seeing if your PC crashes in that? Also just to bo 100% sure I'd go ahead and run furmark for maybe 2 hours. It's prob overkill but I'd suggest it anyway just to be absolutely sure. If the cmos, bios, safe mode, and furmark all check out, only your mobo hdd/ssd or PSU could be the problem. Since I'd assume a faulty mobo would not even let your PC boot, and a faulty disk would result in random file deletions that you would have noticed, I'd say the best course of action is to go ahead and buy a new, bigger PSU. I had a similar problem (mine was a kernel power system failure) and going from an 850W to a 1200W fixed it for me. As you completely clean installed Windows software should not be a problem (it could be I guess but I'd say its much more likely you've got a hardware problem).

I guess I should have asked this way earlier (I'm no expert either, just someone who knows more than the average person trying to help people out), but have you had this problem in any other games than PUBG?

Mar 3, 2021
I guess I should have asked this way earlier (I'm no expert either, just someone who knows more than the average person trying to help people out), but have you had this problem in any other games than PUBG?
since the new install of windows i tested only in PUBG. at first it happened only in PUBG and in the end before i started testing everything and trying to fix this it started with other games too...... and in some low-end games like Trine2 or Little Nightmares for example

Mar 3, 2021
so, a little update.
i finished memtest86 on other stick of ram. 7 passess, no errors.
disabled amd high definition sound drivers in case they conflict with realtek ones. same case with crashes.
did some "as ssd stress" test, it passed. after that checked it with hdd sentinel and the health is PERFECT.
din one extreme furmark test, it passed. then one 3dmark time spy, a bit lower score but it passed.
then i tried disabling turbo boost on my CPU, also disabling c-state, changed power menagement to high performance so there would be no drops in wattage, a bit bigger power consumption but more stable. and the results were the same.
changed radeon adrenaline configuration from balanced to power saving to gaming....all were the same
and then in the end i did just one thing.
When i started playing pubg i didn't mess much around graphic setting i just did turn on vsync because of screen tearing it was much noticeable then some other games so it run smoother.
Now i figured....hmm, i know i did change that later since i learned that there is input lag if vsync is on, it helped a bit while playing...but what if i enable it again like in the beginning.
And for the first time something different happened. Yeah...the game DID freeze again with that buzzing sound, like before, but i was able to play for about half an hour or 45 minutes which is MUCH more time than before, and when it froze it didn't just freeze in place with that buzzing sound so screen is not moving, or in ssome cases when it freezes but you just see black screen and "no signal" on the screen.
Now for the first time it froze, for like 10 seconds and then i saw this.
View: https://imgur.com/fAerApB

for the first time it got in the BSOD. but the screen was green except the place where it probably tried to load some percentage while collecting the info, but was never able to move from 0%. so i did restart it manually like always and of course no errors in event viewer it just said the system was not shut down correctly.
now i am aware green color can mean one thing....and maybe those are some artefacts from the GPU, but.....first thing......i never saw it go full screen like that and second and most important...if it is GPU how the hell did she pass the furmark standard and extreme stress tests, and then 3dmark standard which also test cpu and everything, and there were no problems at all.
no overheating GPU never got over 77c tops and CPU above 60+ something. idk...maybe 60+ for cpu is much, maybe if i disable cpu monitoring in bios or change the termal compund again.
i never saw anything like this

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
It definitely does seem like a GPU problem based on that picture. I don't know why a GPU would pass furmark but fail in game, but that seems to be the case. I'd suggest trying your GPU in a friends PC or borrowing a GPU from a friend and trying it in yours. Also, I wonder if this could somehow be a mobo problem? I don't know how it would but it's as good an idea as any at this point.

Mar 3, 2021
It definitely does seem like a GPU problem based on that picture. I don't know why a GPU would pass furmark but fail in game, but that seems to be the case. I'd suggest trying your GPU in a friends PC or borrowing a GPU from a friend and trying it in yours. Also, I wonder if this could somehow be a mobo problem? I don't know how it would but it's as good an idea as any at this point.
yeah it can be anything at this point. i kinda ruled out mobo since it wouldn't start PC at all as i know, but....who knows right now.
currently updating manualy every single driver in device mmanager (among others pci express, gpu and ahci controller needed new ones that windows didn't detect itself with win update) so we'll see...

Mar 3, 2021
i finally found the problem after lot of personal tweaking and playing arpund with settings, softwares and drivers.......
HD audio drivers.....!!!! Jesus Christ:rolleyes:
Tested several times, also upping my graphic setting to ultra high, processor on full load 100%, no overheating no nothing and i was able to play a game for hour and a half without a single stutter, not to mention the system crash.
So, basically.... my motherboard is ASUS p7h55-m/ubs3 and by default her sound drivers are HD audio drivers by Realtek. It has an option to enable or disable them in bios, and also to choose if front panel jacks will be HD or AC97 or something like that.......
For front panel it makes difference but for the back panel even if you choose to disable the HD audio it will always have them installed and shown in device manager with every scan.
On the other hand we have my rx470, connected to my monitor/tv with HDMI. So, since it's HDMI....when you install drivers for GPU, i presume it checks "oh yeah it's connected with HDMI" so it installs AMD HD audio driver
Those two apparently do not get along, and there is no option for custom install, even on some older drivers where you can shoose not to install AMD HD drivers.

I read a little about this and some said i should remove Realtek drivers and let windows install generic driver so it will be shown in device manager as "High definition audio device" and that will solve the problem. But the point is, no matter what i do......those are the ones that crash the system. If i disable AMD i get crashes. if i disable Realtek (or now called high definition audio device) i don't have a single problem......
well....except this one.
1)
View: https://imgur.com/a/PBgbROz

2)
View: https://imgur.com/a/8uWHotk

This is what happens when i disable one or the other. With realtek i have full control of my sound devices, i gave mic, headphones and speakers. But Amd only controls my monitor/tv, since it's connected with HDMI so it outputs the sound on my monitor speakers. Them moment i disable Realtek.....i don't have anything (picture 1)
Well i can actually live with that tbh.... i even have a headphones jack on my monitor so in theory it can be functional.
But you know how are the speakers on those monitor/tv's.....just a regular stereo sound with lowest quality, like they put in plushy toys that sing when you squeeze them. Headphones are not any better, not to mention i don't have a microphone jack anymore....

So, i don't want to spam a lot since this thread is basically considered SOLVED imo. And i am very and i mean VERY thankful for all the support and help i got, since it was fairly fast and on point, which i like, and i like the fact that forums like this one exist.
But one last thing....does anyone know by any chance how can i get some better sound now? Basically is there any way i can change that AMD audio drivers control my speakers and headphones so i can disable Realtek for good, or maybe somehow connect something, idk like 5.1 system to my monitor (is basically tv) and then connect headphones in the 5.1 system (although i don't know if i would have an option for mic either way), maybe some way to output sound from the monitor to speakers i am using for my pc, you know, some trickery like that?
Maybe some simple old sound card would help i have one more pci slot and GPU is not blocking it........
https://www.game-debate.com/monitor/index.php?mon_id=308&monitor=LG M227WDP-PZ LCD TV 22inch
Theese are the specs for my monitor so you can see what types of connection it has, maybe i can use something of that. I thought about display ports but, that's basically and HDMI it would also control sound over it. Any help would be appreciated and thx for all the help i did got so far

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I don't know tbh. I have Corsair headphones so I use their drivers. This is beyond my expertise by this point. I guess you could try reinstalling the Realtek drivers and see if it kind of overrides AMD and runs fine but idk

Mar 3, 2021
I don't know tbh. I have Corsair headphones so I use their drivers. This is beyond my expertise by this point. I guess you could try reinstalling the Realtek drivers and see if it kind of overrides AMD and runs fine but idk
it's so strange i never experienced something like this.....the whole system was basically failing because of some drivers. i am really thinking about returning to the WIN7 OS, it was a powerhouse.......10 is like some young flimsy simp compared to it

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I haven't really had any problems with win 10. Oh wait a sec! I just remembered something! If you go into sound settings and click advanced you can increase the Hz for better audio quality. It might not work but it's def worth a shot.

Mar 3, 2021
I haven't really had any problems with win 10. Oh wait a sec! I just remembered something! If you go into sound settings and click advanced you can increase the Hz for better audio quality. It might not work but it's def worth a shot.
Thx, i'll try that and aslo try removing everything both realtek and high definition device and use one of the usb external sound cards. As i heard,they are registered as a different type of connection than my regular motherboards hd sound....... So maybe they will work with Amd hd sounds.
Basically i think the problem is, in device manager under the "system devices" i have two "high definition audio controllers". One is for the realtek,the other for amd. I should probably remove or at least disable one so there is no conflict....but i tried disabling under "audio inputs/outputs",under "sound,video and games controllerd",under "system devices".....uninstalling them, disabling them in registry directly. Whatever i do and which one i disable it comes back after a minute or so. Very persistant (i mean probably cuz system is using them).
Oooonlyyy way i found is to go to registry editor and mess around with start codes for audio bus, so the device doesn't know ehat to do with them,it reads them as unknown device (it has that yellow exclamation mark on both hd controllers under system devices). But then i dont have sound at all so i returned it to default.
Maybe if usb sound card has some different drivers and seoarste controller i could do this registry trick and only use usb sound.....hence no conflict......but idk will that work or not, currently waiting for sound card to arrive so i'll see. But this is the stupidest thing ever, since....with every gpu driver update it will enable it again so i need to check it every time.

TRENDING THREADS