Question Please help - PC programs lockup at random until PC freezes entirely.

Jan 27, 2020
This issue has been occurring for months on end now, but just recently started happening more frequently to where I can barely do anything I want. I can be gaming or doing something as simple as browsing the web or Discord until the individual program locks up, and each time I click a different program it will immediately lock up as well until my entire PC freezes altogether.

Most of the time, I'm still able to move the mouse around and and even hear audio whilst everything else is frozen on screen. Sometimes if I wait long enough it will crash to BSOD with the "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" error; however, most of the time I'm forced to manually shutdown via the power button.

I've done just about every public help method I could find online from the command prompts like "sfc scannow" to every virus/malware scan and various registry edit tools. I'm now left to believe that it must be unique to my hardware or OS. Three days ago, I upgraded my BIOS and physically cleaned out my entire PC to which it had been working perfectly up until today, so I'm left with this as my last resort before spending money I don't have on repairs.

Here are my PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC w/ WiFi, DUAL LAN
CPU: INTEL I7-5820K 3.3 GHZ
GPU: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16 GB (x2)
PSU: CORSAIR RM850W
System Type: 64-bit

Any help or information would be a lifesaver at this point! Let me know if there's any further info that I could add in order to help :giggle:

Jan 27, 2020
Was this Windows install a full wipe and reinstall?

Do not use driver helpers like this. That alone would make me want to wipe and reinstall.

You know what...I don't think it was; I believe I kept my important files but I have so much precious data at this point I'd need to back it all up before doing a full wipe and re-installation.

DSzymborski

Titan
You know what...I don't think it was; I believe I kept my important files but I have so much precious data at this point I'd need to back it all up before doing a full wipe and re-installation.

If you have so much precious data, it should always be backed up, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Get that done first, preferably multiple backups; anything of importance ought to follow the 3-2-1 rule, meaning a minimum of three copies in a minimum of two format with a minimum of one off-site.

A very common post here is people not backing up their important files and then being surprised that hard drives can die at any time without warning. If these files are not backed up, this is the far bigger emergency than your programs freezing at times.

Then you can do a proper wipe and install.