Question Please help, pc randomly keeps breaking (master chief assassinated it)

Jan 9, 2022
I let the master chief collection download one day and went to work and when I got back my monitors were off, my fans were on full speed, and the cpu and dram debug lights were on. I reset the cmos battery and it worked and came on for the rest of the day but it keeps happening, I just now got it to come back on after an hour of attempts to make it work and of course, my monitors went black, my fans sped up and the debug lights came on. I upgraded my mobo, cpu and graphics card at the start of the year and have had 0 problems. Someone much smarter that me please help. I have a feeling it could be my psu but have no idea.

specs:
Gpu- asus dual 2060
Cpu- ryzen 5 5600x
Mb- asrock b550 pro4
Ram- 16gb Corsair vengeance 3000mhz
Psu- Corsair 450m

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Psu- Corsair 450m

160W GPU running off from a 450W unit, while minimum suggested for that GPU is 500W. Why?

Also, i'm quite sure that your PSU isn't that good of a Corsair series either. At best, CXm series. And if so, CXm, at best, is mediocre quality PSU, only good to run office PC without dedicated GPU. But for gaming build, with dedicated GPU, that PSU is nowhere near the quality level PSU must be.

So, the question from me is:
Did you buy the PC as prebuilt and it came with that PSU?
Or did you really cheap out on PSU, to save what? 50 bucks?

In any event, PSU replacement is in order. While cross your fingers that your PSU didn't fry any other component. Since when PSU does act up, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to. Btw, no image on screen = something else died, other than PSU acted up. Could be: CPU, RAM, MoBo, GPU or all of them.

Good PSUs to go for, are Seasonic Focus+ or PRIME series. Or when you like Corsair, then RM, RMx, RMi, HX. In 600W range, just to be safe. 500W range would do too, but i'd get 600W range for 160W GPU.

Jan 9, 2022
No I originally built the pc back in 2016 with a gtx 1060, and I was in high school and also believe it or not, dumber than I am now and money was an issue. Thank you for the response though I’ll get a 600w, but as for the frying part it’s a good sign that I was able to get it up and running again right?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but as for the frying part it’s a good sign that I was able to get it up and running again right?

Depends, since PSU may not only fry the part outright, but also damage it with incorrect voltages. Meaning reduced performance and much shorter lifespan. So, best not to "try" it getting running with potentially faulty PSU.

and money was an issue.
If the money is the issue, do not get GTX 1060. Instead get GTX 1050 Ti. Much cheaper, can do 1080p gaming, and frees up the money to buy proper PSU.

Time and time again, i've seen people able to afford 300+ bucks GPU, but not able to get 50 extra bucks for proper PSU.

Back in the day (2016), when i bought 1st parts of my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i had a choice:
  • Buy GTX 1060 6GB and cheaper, but still good Seasonic M12II-620 EVO (80+ Bronze) PSU.
  • Or GTX 1060 3GB and better, Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) PSU.
You can guess which option i picked.

Now, as time has moved onwards, i upgraded my GPU to GTX 1660 Ti, without any issues of my PSU being outmatched or lacking quality.

Keep in mind that PSU is the most important component inside the PC, since it powers everything. And you can cheap out on every other component, except PSU.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022
Depends, since PSU may not only fry the part outright, but also damage it with incorrect voltages. Meaning reduced performance and much shorter lifespan. So, best not to "try" it getting running with potentially faulty PSU.

If the money is the issue, do not get GTX 1060. Instead get GTX 1050 Ti. Much cheaper, can do 1080p gaming, and frees up the money to buy proper PSU.

Time and time again, i've seen people able to afford 300+ bucks GPU, but not able to get 50 extra bucks for proper PSU.

Back in the day (2016), when i bought 1st parts of my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i had a choice:
  • Buy GTX 1060 6GB and cheaper, but still good Seasonic M12II-620 EVO (80+ Bronze) PSU.
  • Or GTX 1060 3GB and better, Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) PSU.
You can guess which option i picked.

Now, as time has moved onwards, i upgraded my GPU to GTX 1660 Ti, without any issues of my PSU being outmatched or lacking quality.

Keep in mind that PSU is the most important component inside the PC, since it powers everything. And you can cheap out on every other component, except PSU.
Went and got a new 600w psu, set it up last night and everything was good. Got home today everything was good browsing through YouTube and boom, black screens and all of my fans sped up except my rear one which completely cut off. What is going on???