[SOLVED] Please Help! Pc randomly restarting

May 10, 2020
I finished building my pc 4 days ago and ever since then I've had a problem with it randomly restarting whenever I try to play games. I updated the Bios, reinstalled/ updated all my drivers but the problem continues. I'll be playing a game and the pc will just randomly shut down sometimes in 5 minutes sometimes in an hour. I even went as far as reseating the ram, gpu and all other connections between components and the power supply. I ran stress tests and benchmarks to make sure the cpu and gpu were good and monitored temps throughout the tests and everything seemed fine cpu never got hotter than 65 ° C and the gpu never passed 70 ° C. but the problem continues. The event viewer gave me the error of event id: 41 kernel-power. I don't know what else to do at this point. What could be causing this problem and how do I fix it? If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate help.

System:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
GPU: gigabyte rtx 2060 Oc 6gb
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
PSU: MWE 650 White

Solution
It's not a matter of wattage, but the quality of the internal components.
Quality > wattage.
You could run that setup on a good 450w unit - it's totally doable.

A Thermaltake Smart 700 is just as cheap internally as a MWE 650, and neither is suited for powering gaming graphics cards - they are best used in home/office PCs.

Instead, aim for:
Corsair TX550M, RM550X, CX550 - there is a model with green letters, AVOID
Seasonic Focus 550, or Focus Plus Gold 550
EVGA Supernova G3
Bitfenix Formula 550
Superflower Leadex 3 550
Thermaltake Toughpower
Powerspec - if you have a Microcenter near you
be quiet! Dark Power Pro or Pure Power
Antec HCG

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Here's some of the most common causes of sudden restarts/shutdowns:
1)Incompatible/corrupt drivers, namely Windows.
Is this a completely 'fresh' build? You didn't carry over an old C drive, did you? You will need to reinstall the OS if you did...

2)Memory corruption.
Memtest86 free tool: https://www.memtest86.com/
It takes a few hours, so run it overnight. The results should be error-free, with no system hangs or crashes.

3)Power supply.
The one that's housed in your PC isn't well suited for the build. You went a little too cheap there.
Also, if the system shuts off, but refuses to power on for a period of time, then that's an overheating power supply.
Either way, there's no real solution here other than to replace the unit for a better one.

May 10, 2020
Thanks for the reply,
1) Yes this is a completely fresh build and no I didn't carry over any old drives. using devices manager I checked all my drivers and they all seemed to be up to date.
2)Ran memtest86 and the results were error free with no hangs or crashes ran smooth.
3) When ever the system shuts off when trying to game it immediately powers back on. Also would a higher wattage psu be better like the Thermaltake Smart 700W 80+ White Certified PSU or is 650 good just an overall better psu?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not a matter of wattage, but the quality of the internal components.
Quality > wattage.
You could run that setup on a good 450w unit - it's totally doable.

A Thermaltake Smart 700 is just as cheap internally as a MWE 650, and neither is suited for powering gaming graphics cards - they are best used in home/office PCs.

Instead, aim for:
Corsair TX550M, RM550X, CX550 - there is a model with green letters, AVOID
Seasonic Focus 550, or Focus Plus Gold 550
EVGA Supernova G3
Bitfenix Formula 550
Superflower Leadex 3 550
Thermaltake Toughpower
Powerspec - if you have a Microcenter near you
be quiet! Dark Power Pro or Pure Power
Antec HCG

Solution