Question Please help! PC restarting constantly and randomly.

Jun 18, 2019
Hello

when im gaming or even now opening mozilla my computer restarts itself.
I used to have image freezing but audio continue but changing my PSU fixed that, that was in 2017.
RECENTLY again it returned, unpon smashing the pwoer button with PC off, it booted normally.

3 weeks later we are in hell zone. it restarts if i simply even open mozilla or launch videos or games, then sometimes can be fine for an hour.

I have updated all drivers (DDU to fresh remove and install) ,
updated bios,
swapped hardrives,
removed GPU - still crashed
removed ram
swapped ram slots,
tried single sticks
ran anti virus,
check temps (all fine)
cleared CMOS
ran windows ram tester,
reinstalled windows & new drivers
Performed Clean install (disabled non-microsfot services etc)

this is my event log of the ID 41 kernal power and then a new error now 11010 driveframe

mobo: Rog Strix Z270F bought sept 2017
GPU: GTX1080 Founders bought june 2016
CPU: I7 6700K (no overclocked) bought est 2016
Cooler: kraker 180mm watercooler bought Feb 2018
PSU: Corsair 850w bought August 2018
ram: 8 gb 2 x 3200 ddr4 bought August 2018

here is footage of it happening [youtube link]

CPU Intel test - passed results here [gyzo link]
PRIME95 stress tests for 45mins then crashed

tried updating GPU drivers and got BSOD - stop cod: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
What failed: nvhda64v.sys
updated fine 2nd time

tried updating audio drivers and restarted 3 times and worked 4th time.
here is my speccy text doc in dropbox [dropbox link]

Please let me know anything, I can open discord on my phone if you want to chat that way and trouble shoot with me live. im UK so time difference/sleep / work bare in mind

**update: even though my cpu cooler pump shows around 2k RPM, my CPU get to 100c on load straight away - ive tried a NEW heatsink + fan, and same issue, after 3-5 secds (better) to 100c, ive resat it re-thermal pasted etc. still 100c after 5 seconds though.

Last edited:

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Hows your chip set temps prior to a crash? Too much Thermal Paste between the CPU and the Cooler? are the Radiator fans spooling up and down with thermal load? also check for air in your water cooling system. to me sounds like a temp crash, not a HW/SW/Driver crash. Install HW Monitor to watch and log all available temp points..

Jun 18, 2019
Hello Hilde, thanks for replying.

My temps only reach around 85 at the peaks, I have the HW Monitor and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I do agree with you in feeling its a shut down to protects its self, but why so infrequent?

running prime95 stress test on cpu didnt cause the crash either

The paste on the cooler has been there since august 2018 and i would hope its fine, we didnt apply to much, a large pea size. My radiator fans dont really change speed I think, the radiator is attached to the fans at the front, and its always cold/not warm - it was working since installtion.

the water cooling i mentioned is only the NZXT Kraken CPU cooler. also i had the sides off during most testing and even not underload it would restart

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019
Hows your chip set temps prior to a crash? Too much Thermal Paste between the CPU and the Cooler? are the Radiator fans spooling up and down with thermal load? also check for air in your water cooling system. to me sounds like a temp crash, not a HW/SW/Driver crash. Install HW Monitor to watch and log all available temp points..

even though my cpu cooler pump shows around 2k RPM, my CPU get to 100c on load straight away - is that to high? - as in my cooler is not funtioning?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Watercooled such processor shouldn't give you 100C straight away on load.
Something is wrong, did you remove the plastic cover on the cpu block? reapply thermal paste and make sure the CPU is seated correctly.
And yes it is too high.

Jun 18, 2019
Watercooled such processor shouldn't give you 100C straight away on load.
Something is wrong, did you remove the plastic cover on the cpu block? reapply thermal paste and make sure the CPU is seated correctly.
And yes it is too high.

Hey thanks for replying, Ive bought a new heatsink today - arctic freeze 12 - and upon installation and prime95, it instantly went to 100c again, i removed the cpu and heatset and reset it with paste again and it did the same to 100c instantly. any advice? new cpu and motherboard time?

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Do you happen to have a hand held infra red thermometer to hit the CPU and read it's actual temp? I wonder is BIOS is reporting the incorrect Temp. Even feeling the heat off the radiator would be seriously noticable at 100c. It could be the sensor on the chipset is faulty. If the chip is indeed 100c those radiator fans should be running full tilt to cool that chip off. If the fans are running at idle speed that's another issue. Make sure your fan settings are correct in BIOS if the fans are 3 wire they are normal speed reporting fans, 4 wire will be PWM fans. There is settings in BIOS to play with that, just note what socket your Radiator fan is plugged into. In my case my EVO 212 is PWM and the case fans are normal and it makes a huge difference when you put the CPU fan in PWM mode.

If you can get it's actual temp via an IR reading you might be in the clear and the issue lies elsewhere like a Mobo showing signs of early failure.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted. My previous system pretty much burned to the ground due to bad airflow, had no idea how hot things were inside as the original Mobo had no reporting features.