[SOLVED] Please Help! PC turns off randomly, restarts randomly and shows "New CPU Installed".

Apr 19, 2021
Hi guys, good morning/afternoon/night.
I'm having problems with my computer for more than a month now and I don't know what to do. I'll try to be very precise, but English is not my first language.
First off all, when I turn my PC on, sometimes the message "New CPU installed" appears. It shows that my RAM memory is set to 2133MHz even though they are 2400MHz (XMP is enabled). After that, I don't change anything and restart my PC. It boots normally.
After some time, playing some games or even browsing the internet, my PC shuts off (randomly) and does NOT restart right away. Sometimes it takes 1 minute, sometimes it takes 5 minutes to reboot by itself. It is important to note that the power on button of my case gets "disabled" in the process, so I can't turn my PC on when I press it. Then, when my PC turns itself on, the message "New CPU installed" appears again.
That's whats happening and I can't figure what the problem is. Please, can somebody help me?
Other important notes:
  • I installed 32Gb of RAM (4x8Gb) some time ago. While I was trying to figure what the problem was, I noted that 2 of my memories were kind of problematic. My PC would not boot when they were installed. All of them are 2400MHz. When I removed these bad memories, my PC didn't turn off for a whole day, but after some time it started doing all of this again.
  • My PSU and HDD are the oldest components of my PC (I would say it is 5 years old PSU and 6+ years old HDD);
  • I have an water cooler, so I don't think overheating is the problem;
  • Repeating: My PC shuts off when I play games and when I don't;
My PC specs are:
  • Intel Core i7-7700K
  • Asus ROG Strix B250F Gaming
  • HyperX (2x8Gb) 2400MHz DDR4 (previously 4x8Gb)
  • Corsair H80i V2 watercooler
  • Corsair Crystal Series 460x (I might be wrong on this one)
  • Corsair CX600M
  • Geforce GTX 1070
I have one video that I can upload on youtube to try to show, but I am speaking Portuguese, so I will upload if someone asks me to. EDIT: I was able to record a video right after I made this post:
View: https://youtu.be/z8mQ32fnWVk

Last edited:
Solution
OK!! I'm going to save some money for a good PSU. Do you recommend any? I was thinking on getting a Corsair 750W TX750. Is it good? A bit overkill maybe?

Solid PSU, though you don't really need 750W unless you plan to upgrade to a more power-hungry GPU at some point. We keep a curated tier list in the power supplies forums; for a build like this, I wouldn't go below the "Tier B" list. Whiel the GTX 1070 is getting up there in age, given the GPU market, you'd probably spend as much to replace it if something happened as when you bought it new!

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi guys, good morning/afternoon/night.
I'm having problems with my computer for more than a month now and I don't know what to do. I'll try to be very precise, but English is not my first language.
First off all, when I turn my PC on, sometimes the message "New CPU installed" appears. It shows that my RAM memory is set to 2133MHz even though they are 2400MHz (XMP is enabled). After that, I don't change anything and restart my PC. It boots normally.
After some time, playing some games or even browsing the internet, my PC shuts off (randomly) and does NOT restart right away. Sometimes it takes 1 minute, sometimes it takes 5 minutes to reboot by itself. It is important to note that the power on button of my case gets "disabled" in the process, so I can't turn my PC on when I press it. Then, when my PC turns itself on, the message "New CPU installed" appears again.
That's whats happening and I can't figure what the problem is. Please, can somebody help me?
Other important notes:
  • I installed 32Gb of RAM (4x8Gb) some time ago. While I was trying to figure what the problem was, I noted that 2 of my memories were kind of problematic. My PC would not boot when they were installed. All of them are 2400MHz. When I removed these bad memories, my PC didn't turn off for a whole day, but after some time it started doing all of this again.
  • My PSU and HDD are the oldest components of my PC (I would say it is 5 years old PSU and 6+ years old HDD);
  • I have an water cooler, so I don't think overheating is the problem;
  • Repeating: My PC shuts off when I play games and when I don't;
My PC specs are:
  • Intel Core i7-7700K
  • Asus ROG Strix B250F Gaming
  • HyperX (2x8Gb) 2400MHz DDR4 (previously 4x8Gb)
  • Corsair H80i V2 watercooler
  • Corsair Crystal Series 460x (I might be wrong on this one)
  • Corsair CX600M
  • Geforce GTX 1070
I have one video that I can upload on youtube to try to show, but I am speaking Portuguese, so I will upload if someone asks me to. EDIT: I was able to record a video right after I made this post:
View: https://youtu.be/z8mQ32fnWVk

Besides replacing the CMOS battery (since it's very easy and inexpensive), the obvious place to start is the PSU. It's not of the quality that it should be used with these parts and it's quite old -- I don't think these have been made since 2013 or 2014 (though there's someone around here who can likely correct me on the exact year if he pops into this thread).

Apr 19, 2021
Besides replacing the CMOS battery (since it's very easy and inexpensive), the obvious place to start is the PSU. It's not of the quality that it should be used with these parts and it's quite old -- I don't think these have been made since 2013 or 2014 (though there's someone around here who can likely correct me on the exact year if he pops into this thread).
OK!! I'm going to save some money for a good PSU. Do you recommend any? I was thinking on getting a Corsair 750W TX750. Is it good? A bit overkill maybe?

DSzymborski

Titan

Solid PSU, though you don't really need 750W unless you plan to upgrade to a more power-hungry GPU at some point. We keep a curated tier list in the power supplies forums; for a build like this, I wouldn't go below the "Tier B" list. Whiel the GTX 1070 is getting up there in age, given the GPU market, you'd probably spend as much to replace it if something happened as when you bought it new!

Reactions: eL_GaFaNhOtO-
Solution
Apr 19, 2021
I plan to buy an RTX 3070 on the future, but it is inviable due to it's price here in my country. But with all these problems that are happening to my PC nowadays, I need to figure what the problem is asap. Otherwise I'm going to be left without PC since I can't afford a new one.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
CMOS out of the list. PSU next.

Yes. You're headed into that direction anyway, since you have to slowly update your PC. For your future plans, at least 650W sounds good for a 3070.

TRENDING THREADS