Question PC won't boot, BIOS shows no storage devices

Jun 15, 2021
My PC worked fine yesterday and today it boots to bios. I go through a guide saying to ctrl alt del, try to manually select boot drive, etc, but no drives were showing up. Took the pc apart, swapped cables, nothing. I have an ssd with windows and a hard drive for games and stuff, and neither showed up. I have the gigabyte motherboard bios, and eventually after spending a while in bios it says...

APU SATA Port0 [Not Installed]

Chipset SATA Port0 [Not Installed]

Chipset SATA Port1 [Not Installed]

Chipset SATA Port2 [Not Installed]

Chipset SATA Port3 [Not Installed]

I'm not too knowledgeable on this kind of stuff, so please be forgiving with mistakes on terminology and such. It's a gigabyte motherboard on Windows 10 64 bit (I think).

Info:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
CPU: Ryzen 5600 X (I think)
GPU: RX 570
RAM: 2x Viper 8gb
PSU: 600W Coolermaster MWE 230V
Drives: One Adata SU630 SSD and One 2TB Second hand WD hard drive

I built the PC myself, and the only previous issue I've had with it was the drive overheating once a few months ago, but that was solved with cleaning out dust and sorting out fan config. Furthermore I'm fairly sure that the drives are getting power as you can feel the hard drive is vibrating lightly when you touch it.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my PC build is very important to me, and all I want to do is chill out and play Skyrim. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10/

PSU may have failed in some manner; however, more information is needed.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Knowing/listing components' respective make and model information is important.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Try to get as much information as you can by looking at each component and the labeling on that component.

Computer brand and model: HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc....?
Motherboard
CPU
GPU
Drives
RAM (Memory)
PSU

CmdData

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
If you have an external SATA to USB connector, try connecting your drive(s) to another computer/laptop to see if they show up there. If you've had your Motherboard for a while it also couldn't hurt to check on the manufacturers website if there is a newer BIOS for your board

Jun 15, 2021
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10/

PSU may have failed in some manner; however, more information is needed.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Knowing/listing components' respective make and model information is important.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Try to get as much information as you can by looking at each component and the labeling on that component.

Computer brand and model: HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc....?
Motherboard
CPU
GPU
Drives
RAM (Memory)
PSU

I have edited to include more info, also I can't boot into safe mode as I can't even get onto windows, the only thing I can do is get to bios.

Jun 15, 2021
If you have an external SATA to USB connector, try connecting your drive(s) to another computer/laptop to see if they show up there. If you've had your Motherboard for a while it also couldn't hurt to check on the manufacturers website if there is a newer BIOS for your board

I don't have a sata/usb cable but will look at getting one. I'm also not entirely confident in updating bios, and would rather be sure of the cause of the issue before doing it.

TRENDING THREADS