[SOLVED] Please help, problems booting, "Please enter setup to recover BIOS Settings"

Nov 4, 2020
Searching this forum for help has been very useful over the years, now I need to beg for help myself.

System:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS Motherboard
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8Gb 3200MHz RAM
Hard Drive: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008, 3.5" HDD, SATA III plus another spare 1Tb hard drive for extra storage (not RAID)
Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER OC 4GB
Power supply: 650W Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 80PLUS Gold, Single Rail, 54A, 120mm Fan, ATX PSU

I assembled this lot six months ago, and haven't had a problem until now.

Whenever I boot the machine, I get the POST screen with the message "Please enter setup to recover BIOS settings. When RAID configuration was built, ensure to set SATA configuration to RAID mode. Press F1 to Run Setup." The only way to get into Windows is to press F1, go into the bios and exit without saving.

I haven't made any changes to the PC, this just started happening out of the blue.

To remedy this, I've tried the following.
Replaced the motherboard battery (twice) and cleared the CMOS.
Updated the bios, now at version 2.20.1271
Updated Windows
Removed the memory, cleaned the contacts, tried only a single stick.
Removed the graphics card, cleaned the contacts.

Since replacing the battery, I can only get the PC to boot by clearing the CMOS, then. going through then F1 routine without changes. If I make any bios changes (DOCP, date and time, etc.) these are not saved and (after a minute) the PC occasionally restarts to the F1 message, but more often gives a blank screen with fans running, and the Q LED is illuminated red indicating a CPU problem. It remains in this state until I clear the CMOS again.

When the PC does boot, Windows seems to work correctly and I have no problems.

Before I start pulling the cooler and CPU off the board to check for dirt or whatever can anyone suggest something else to try? It's only a few months old so could be RMA'd but I'm not sure which component is at fault.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds to me like you should contact Asus and maybe rma motherboard as a new motherboard shouldn't need replacement CMOS or forget settings so suddenly. It should last years before that happens. Something seems wrong with that board to me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sounds to me like you should contact Asus and maybe rma motherboard as a new motherboard shouldn't need replacement CMOS or forget settings so suddenly. It should last years before that happens. Something seems wrong with that board to me.

Solution
Nov 4, 2020
Well, you can fiddle with settings all you want, but sometimes you've just got to admit that something's broken. So the Asus X570 motherboard went back to the retailer, and a new one was sent out. Can't fault Scan for that, all very efficient. I put it all together one evening this week and all seems to be well.

Thankyou for the responses.

TRENDING THREADS