Question Please help, recent upgrade. Never came across this problem. And i cant fix it

Jul 3, 2022
So I just upgraded my pc from an i7 4770k to a ryzen 5 5500, then was so impressed with the actual preformance of the pc. And well I bought a r9 5900x of my friend for a good price.

But since initial build the system was slow to post and first boot, then remembering that linus, Jay and Kyle have all Said initial boot of the system is slow. And remembering from my last ryzen pc, it took a while. But then everything worked.
So I knew ryzen was good and I had a r5 1600 from gen one not the af. And yeah they where supposed to be super buggy and I never had an issue with that system. Most reliable pc I ever had. And I've always been an Intel fan boy as they always had the pedestal before ryzen... I've build alotta computers. Both hobby and a few times as builds for clients. Not alot for clients more for friends. When they buy parts and get me to build it. I go over with my laptop. build there's. And then we game till 4am kinda deal. But I've never incountered this issue.

So first build before slotting in the ryzen 9.
So I pulled the the old i7 mobo and ram out. Reused everything else from my build.

Assembled my cpu mobo and ram into the system.
Fired it up. No ssd or hard-drive wipes. But I also didn't have drivers installed as intel you don't really do that.

Then noticed a no display. And so I checked the aio thumb nuts by hand noticed they where a tad tight. So I powered down the system. Backed them off a few turns. Tried wiggling the the aio. No play so I figured eh it's good. Didn't break contact. It's all good. And then fired it back on. Still no display. Got stressed so I had made a coffee had a smoke. Came back in. Booted up into windows. Had windows up and display. So I was like * sweet. Had a gaming session. Did the whole gaga over the preformance the new cpu had over my very tired i7 4770k I bought off Facebook marketplace almost 2 years ago. Like I was absolutely in love. Then I went eyyy, this is without xmp and stuff enabled. So this isn't even it's final form yet... so all excited to enable xmp. And gitty about enabling it. I restarted it. Spamming that delete key like it owed me money. And then again. Black screen. Monitor powering on and powering off. Then stopping the power on and off cycle. And just staying off.
So I rebooted. Alot. Like 2 hours trying to get into the bios. So I gave up. Dug out my old r7 3704gb. Hit that power button. And guess what. It displayed. I could get into the bios. Still had a bit of a stroke displaying but displayed msi, hit f2 or delete to get to bios. And boom I was in but could only display 1024x723 something like that. But I enabled xmp. And saved and exited. And when It fired back up it was fine. Display was still locked at that weird resolution in windows. So I downloaded the b550 drivers and verified xmp and that was enabled. Powered it off. Slotted my 1070 back in and it booted to windows so fast Idk. I've had nvmes not boot this fast. This was the fastest boot to windows I've ever seen. But still didn't even show up the f2 and delete keys. Just black screen for a few seconds then windows. Non of the normal stuff. Like msi press f2 or delete get to bios thing. Just on black screen. Monitor turns on, then windows is booted ready to go.

So even to flash the bios which I've never done.
I can't with my 1070. Flash forward 2 days and now my home hosted minecraft server crashes. And I figured ey the r9 5900x my buddy wants to sell me is a flag ship. Maybe that will fix it. Turned it on after install. Did the thumb nuts finger tight. Turned it on. Same thing. Black screen windows. But wayyyy faster this time. But when I open things. Like booting up my minecraft server and stuff. Cpu spikes to 100%. All 24threads for a few seconds. On the r5 I never seen that cpu go past 50%. Like most it's done was 45 max.

So idk what the issue is. I'm outta ideas and don't even know where to start looking. So I've come to the good people of reddit for some advice.

Thank you for reading I know it's a novel. But I wanted it to be almost like you where with me. To the best I could. So any one could have an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

rakinar2

Commendable
Oct 26, 2021
Try a clean installation of windows with all overclocking stuff disabled and official drivers for your motherboard. Not sure why this problem is happening, but if there's a driver/bios setting issue, this will fix it.

Jul 3, 2022
I'll try it. I was thinking that to. I had some major issues before with a laptop and a fresh install of windows fixed it before. But I was also kinda thinking it's happening before windows fires up. And then it's fine in windows.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Reinstall Windows. Your msconfig, registry and other parts are all set for the other cpus. That means at boot, the registry is telling bios to load certain drivers, which may or may not even exist at this point, so the bios runs in circles until it gives up, skips that driver or loads a generic (the windows version of nvme driver is from 2006) and moves on.

The bad part of all that is that driver might have been somehow important, and not having it, or having a windows generic substitute can lead to other issues with hardware, and you get no display. Or windows takes forever to boot. Or you end up with only half your ram. Or xmp will not be viable but default is.. Or.. Or..

Reinstall windows. Then reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers. Then the gpu drivers. Inside windows is a folder windows/drivers which contains all the drivers additional to windows native. With a reinstall, they get wiped, deleted. So it's important to replace them, which also adds them to the registry so bios can enable them at boot or windows at startup.

Jul 3, 2022
Okay I'll try that out. Cause I've noticed a drastic change. With the r5 5500 I noticed was smoother. But once I dropped in that r9 5900x it's slower then the 5500 at most tasks. Aside from boot up.

Jul 3, 2022
I haven't. As I never have before and the you can brick your system really scares the poop outta me. Especially cause this is the first time I my self has ever owned anything that I'm the first person to open this box sorta deal. When it comes to pcs

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 3, 2022
So I cleared cmos. Mashed delete nothing.
Slotted my old gpu. Got into the bios tried to force pcie gen 3. And changed it from 4x4x4 to 8+8 still nothing. Next is slot in the old card re install windows. Cause idk if I'm gonna be able to reinstall windows on my card if I can't get into the bios

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios update isn't like in the old days, it's come a long way and chances of bricking are as slim as ever. Bios updates for cpu and ram compatibility are pretty much common place now.

If you go to the motherboard vendor website for your exact motherboard version, it'll have a full set of instructions and several ways to go about it. There's even some boards will flash a bios without the cpu installed. If you have any setup that will get into bios, that's pretty much all you'll require, so you can do it with the old R7 installed if you wish, cpu makes no difference, just the motherboard.

Vbios flash for the gpu is something entirely different.

Jul 3, 2022
I do have the flash bios button oddly enough for a lower mid range board. The b550 mag tomahawk. I just need to find my usb Key to do anything like that. And move the important stuff over to my laptop before I do the flash and fresh install of windows