Please HELP-refresh rate stuck @60Hz

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Just installed ATI All In Wonder Radeon 7500-running 98se-ViewSonic A70 monitor. I had an ATI All In Wonder 128 Rage Pro prior with no problems. Now I cannot adjust my refresh rate. It seems to default at 60Hz from the Radeon 7500.I've updated my monitor drivers, checked "Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter" (here I can adjust refresh rate but it doesn't take !! ) Also when I go to "Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > Display" (Display is a tab installed from ATI drivers) it shows 60Hz with no place to adjust refresh rate. I've also tried changing Monitor types through "Device Manager" but no matter what I do it seems to always default to what I think the video card default value is, 60Hz !!! Do I need to make a registry change ? P.S. - I don't think my monitor is a "DDC" type monitor ?????? Thank you for any assisstance you may be able to offer !!!!!!!!! Kent

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
If you're using win 2k or xp, and measuring the refresh rate in games, then that is a limitation of the OS, and has nothing to do with your hardware. On the otherhand, if this is the refresh rate for the non-3d windows desktop, or is you're using win 98 or me, then you have a problem there somewhere.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

When you installed the new card, did you first uninstall the drivers for your old card?

If not, uninstall ALL graphics drivers and try a clean install. If that doesn't work, let us know.

:eek: Wingding - the guy your mother warned you about :eek:

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
First off, thank you for your response !!!! Yes, I did uninstall all old drivers and have installed fresh updated drivers from ATI. I have talked to Viewsonic, they say my monitor IS DDC and that this problem is because of my Radeon 7500. I do have a query into ATI on this but as yet, no response. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and I'm still stuck at 60hz. It's bothering me because I can see the screen "flicker", it's ever so subtle but there. I can access a 'viewmeter' on my monitor menu, it tells me my monitor is set at "FH - 48.2khz / FV - 59.9hz". I have reloaded my monitor drivers through 'Display Properties' and "Device Manager". I have even installed a new processor, last night, as I had my old processor OC'd a tad and I thought maybe that could do it. But no, it's still stuck. I've tried all conventional fixes. My AIW Radeon 7500 seems determined to default to 60hz no matter what. Right after this post I will attempt going into my bios and setting my "AGP value" to 2x to see if that works, if it doesn't I'm out of ideas. I'd love some knowledgeable input on this one !!!! Thanks again for any and all help people !!!! Kent
P.S. - Last night I went from an Athlon 900 OC'd to 990 to a brand new (out of box) Duron 1.2ghz which I have jumpered at 100 x 12 on an Asus A7V133 rev.1.04. The Duron seems a bit better, any thoughts on am I better off with the Duron or should I have stuck with my Athlon ? I'm just curious, the Duron DOES seem to be better but all things considered is the Athlon a better product @990 than a stock 1.2ghz Duron ? Thanks again !!!

Yeah, 60Hz is not enough to work comfortably. You need at least 75Hz, personally I try to go for 85Hz. I'm a bit surprised that you're having this particular problem with the ATi card, I hope you get it sorted soon.

Your Athlon is probably equivalent to the 1.2 Duron, so I don't think you can see it as an upgrade as such. Given current prices, I would have gone for a 1.4 Athlon or a mid-range XP CPU if your motherboard supported it.

:eek: Wingding - the guy your mother warned you about :eek: