Question Please Help! "SATA SSD on Controller 0, Port 5: At risk (SMART event)" What does this mean?!

Sri_8_

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
I've been receiving the message: "SATA SSD on Controller 0, Port 5: At risk (SMART event)" for the past couple of days. Obviously an impending problem is on the horizon, but I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. Can someone please help me identify the problem and how to go about fixing it. I'm a complete novice so I really don't know where to start. I don't even know if I'm posting in the right forum!

I see this on my screen:

SATA_Array_0001
Dev_Cache: Normal
SATA SSD on Controller 0, Port 5: At risk (SMART event)

The solid state drive that is used as a cache device is reported at risk of failing. Fix the issue reported in the Manage subsection, or click 'Accelerate' for more options.

There's nothing in the Manage subsection that will help me fix it - it's a dead end. The only option I have is to "Suppress SMART event". But that won't fix the problem. And I see no 'Accelerate' option anywhere. Please someone help.

PC
Windows 8.1

Sri_8_

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
No, I did nothing out of the ordinary before I started receiving this message.

As I said, I'm a total novice. So when you say full PC specs, what sort of information are you requesting? I have a:

DELL pc

Windows 8.1

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Did you do anything before this? Please list full pc specs

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017

popatim

Titan
How long has it been used as a cache drive? It simply could be approaching it's limits. As you might recall, SSD's have unlimited reads but writes are not. Depending on the type of flash, it could be as low as 1000 writes per cell.

Which drive is it exactly?
Download and run the manufacturers Toolbox/Utility to check on the drive; see what it says.

Sri_8_

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
Oh, gosh. I don't know the answers to any of these questions. I'm sorry.

How can I find out what kind of SSD I have? And how can I figure out how long it's been used a cache drive? Again, total novice with no computer knowledge, but I think the problem is that it's approaching it's limits like you mentioned. I tried attaching a picture of the message, but I'm unable to.

How long has it been used as a cache drive? It simply could be approaching it's limits. As you might recall, SSD's have unlimited reads but writes are not. Depending on the type of flash, it could be as low as 1000 writes per cell.

Which drive is it exactly?
Download and run the manufacturers Toolbox/Utility to check on the drive; see what it says.