Question Please help! Screens lose display and fans go to 100% when running specific games!

Oct 10, 2022
Hey! Just recently changed the case, cpu-cooler and upgraded the memory from 2x8gb sticks to 2x16gb sticks in my mates pc. The pc was working beforehand but now it crashes whenever running specific games.
It can vary but it can crash in the menu, 2 minutes into a game, 5 minutes into a game or 10 minutes into a game. Only on specific games but it appears though that less demanding games (older games) don't seem to have this issue, although I could be speculating.

He has 3 displays, and it doesn't matter if 1 or all 3 are connected, they will all lose signal, the fans will jump up to full speed, and the sound will be stuck on the last thing you heard. The only way to stop it is to hold the power button down, pressing the reset button does nothing.

His specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450m-h
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF
Memory: T-Force 2x16GB 3200mhz CL16
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX580 4GB
SSD: Crucial NVME 1TB
PSU: Corsair CX750F 80+ Bronze 750W

At first I thought it was the power supply as he had an old corsair rx550w that must have been 10 years old, so I swapped to a new PSU (the one I listed) but that changed nothing. I've tried putting the old memory back in, still the same, I tried using only 1 stick in both slots and that also didn't work.
The BIOS is at default settings with XMP disabled. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling his drivers using DDU.
His temperatures weren't all that bad I thought, with the GPU reaching 73 degrees max and CPU only reaching 53 degrees max.
The power led at the 8-pin port on the GPU is lit up white which from what ive read is good.

At this point I don't know what to do, thats about the extent of my knowledge on pc's.
I'm not sure if a BIOS update would help? not that I'd know how to do that.
I'm, really trying to avoid a format but it looks like I'm going to have try that regardless.

Any advice you guys could provide would be really appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Only on specific games but it appears though that less demanding games (older games) don't seem to have this issue, although I could be speculating.
Could you state which games they might be?

Current BIOS version for your motherboard?

I'm, really trying to avoid a format but it looks like I'm going to have try that regardless.
That should be your last resort, though curious, what OS are you working off of?

changed the case, cpu-cooler
Please mention these parts or provide a link to them.

Reactions: donkeyruler91
Oct 10, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Only on specific games but it appears though that less demanding games (older games) don't seem to have this issue, although I could be speculating.
Could you state which games they might be?

Current BIOS version for your motherboard?

That should be your last resort, though curious, what OS are you working off of?

changed the case, cpu-cooler
Please mention these parts or provide a link to them.

Thanks so much for the reply!
The BIOS version is F61, which is the version that was on it when it was purchased in 2021.

He is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

It appeared as though it was less demanding games, but now it appears to be all games. The main ones at first that would crash without fail were Splitgate, Rainbow 6 Siege. Its now doing it on older games like Diablo III which it wasn't just a few hours earlier.

Case: Deepcool Matrexx 40 mATX Tempered Glass Case
Buy Deepcool Matrexx 40 mATX Tempered Glass Case [DP-MATX-MATREXX40] | PC Case Gear Australia

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler V2
Buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler V2 [RR-212S-20PK-R2] | PC Case Gear Australia

Memory: Team T-Force Dark Za 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
Buy Team T-Force Dark Za 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 [TDZAD432G3200HC16FDC01] | PC Case Gear Australia

Lutfij

Titan
Update the BIOS to version F63(skip F62, has the dreaded A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5). See if that changes anything. You could conversely try and take your GPU to a known working platform with at least 650W of power from a reliable unit, to see if the issue persists there as well(to rule the GPU itself as the issue).

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Have you tried to run any CPU benchmarks to se if it still happens?

The reason I am suggesting this is, there might be a chance the new Cooler wasn't fitted properly and sensors aren't reporting the temp correctly either. It could just be thermal paste or not screwed / fitted tightly enough.

Try to run some CPU heavy only tasks or benchmark (can't think of one on top of my head right now) that doesn't involve much GPU work and see how it goes. If the issue stays then re-assemble the CPU and Cooler both with new Thermal Paste. Don't leave the same old one on CPU when take it out of the socket. Clean it up and put some fresh Thermal Paste.