Please Help Solve Unexplained Drop in FPS and PC Gaming Performance

CJW716

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Suddenly, my very powerful gaming PC cannot run games it previously could at the same level. Before, I could play League of Legends (CPU intensive, non GPU intensive) at 2560x1440 @ 144hz, and I could play Rainbow 6 Siege (very GPU intensive) at 2560x1440 @ 144hz fairly consistently.

However, As of about a week ago my PC has slowly been declining in its capabilities. average about 112 FPS on League and it fluctuates rapidly between 112 and 80. And in Rainbow 6 I have begun to average 75fps (It was 90 a few days ago)

Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte 980ti
CPU: Stock speed i5 4690k
RAM: 16 GB

It shouldn't be a temperature issue because the CPU is water cooled and never reaches above 81 C during the most intense games. I thought it was the CPU but I played a game of league with all background programs disabled and the CPU never got above 50% and the issue still persisted.

I have scanned for malware and found nothing.
I have reinstalled Nvidia drivers and that didn't solve it
I did a clean install of Nvidia Drivers and that helped the issue for about 12 hours only on League of Legends then it went back to the way it was.

This issue originally only occurred on windowed - borderless but now its happening on full screen as well.

I have run a furmark stress test on my GPU and it didn't even break a sweat so I assume the issue is CPU related however I can't pinpoint it. I get random fluctuations and I may idle slightly high but I never get to 80% when I play league and the issue happens. And in R6S I don't get above 85% and the issue happens.

Also the reason this is so strange is this was not happening 2 weeks ago. I could play both afformentioned games on high res, 144fps, borderless window and had 0 issues.

Any help would be appreciated I am lost at this point

Just saying but modern systems slow down your CPU to prevent overheating so you will never see unsafe temps, ~80° is the
cut off point so it's very conceivable that your system is lowering clocks (thermal throttling) so use your monitoring app of choice to see your CPUs clock speed while gaming.

CJW716

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

I could see that potentially causing the issue in graphically intensive games so I'll look into that as a possible cause but my CPU temp doesn't even get above 50 degrees when playing a game like League of Legends (much more CPU intensive). Would it have an effect at that low of a temp?