Question PLEASE HELP! Surge protector fried something!

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Earlier today my surge protector spit out sparks and blew the fuse in my room.

My PC wouldn't come back on immediately. The yellow light on the motherboard remained on, instead of cycling to green.

I let it set for awhile and plugged it directly into the wall. Seemed fine for about 4-5 hours, then it just shut off on it's own, instantly, as if it were unplugged or something. After that, when I tried to turn it back on, it remained on the yellow light again without cycling.

I went to the kitchen, got a drink, tried it again and it started correctly.
The 4-5 hours I was on it after the original surge-sparking I was playing a game consistently. When it turned off, I was actually using the least amount of resources I had since it had come back on.

Earlier today my surge protector spit out sparks and blew the fuse in my room.

My PC wouldn't come back on immediately. The yellow light on the motherboard remained on, instead of cycling to green.

I let it set for awhile and plugged it directly into the wall. Seemed fine for about 4-5 hours, then it just shut off on it's own, instantly, as if it were unplugged or something. After that, when I tried to turn it back on, it remained on the yellow light again without cycling.

I went to the kitchen, got a drink, tried it again and it started correctly.
The 4-5 hours I was on it after the original surge-sparking I was playing a game consistently. When it turned off, I was actually using the least amount of resources I had since it had come back on.
My initial guess is your PSU isn't functioning properly. Do you have a known good PSU you can swap in for testing?

Saint Grimm

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
My initial guess is your PSU isn't functioning properly. Do you have a known good PSU you can swap in for testing?

Not currently. My brother's PC uses the exact same one, so I'll see if he'll let me test with it tomorrow. But getting him to let me take his apart and him not be able to use it for 4-5 hours seems like a stretch D:

Last edited: