[SOLVED] Please help - tried everything for Radeon rx 5700 xt crashing issues

Oct 30, 2020
MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Version: Rev X.0x
Bios: 2311
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
RAM: 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ DDR4 (sloted in A2 B2)
GPU: AMD Radeon rx 5700 xt (PowerColor Red Devil)
PSU: Gamemax RGB-850 W 80 Plus Gold
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system) + Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB
Operating system: Windows 10 Home

Hello gods of the internet -

i'm at your alter, begging for a miracle. I built the above rig 5 days ago and have been troubleshooting ever since. The main issue was green marks on screen followed by blue screen of death with TDR error and failed atikmpag.sys or atikmdag.sys

i began reading and reading all the posts on the GPU, drivers, DDU, power settings, RAM settings, etc.

Here's what i've done/tried:

• updated bios to latest version (2311)
  • turned off PCI express - link state power management in Power Options
  • changed PCI from auto to 3 in Bios for the GPU slot
  • tried different drivers (will get to this point at the end)
  • Checked RAM QVL and tried DCOP in Bios to achieve 3200 MHZ (default is 2333)
  • Made sure GPU was getting power from 2 different cables and not just 1 (from PSU)
  • Tried 1 Ram on A2 rather than having both
  • set a max 1950 MHz on GPU
  • removed monitoring software
  • disabled freesync
  • disabled antilag

In terms of the drivers:

• started with latest drivers (20.10.1) - GPU was quite unstable - green flashes and crashed using chrome
  • DDU in safe mode and tried other versions based on recomomendations from the web
  • 19.7.2 was most stable but too old to run MW
  • 19.10.1 no green marks - MW crashes when opening but no system restart - no blue screen
  • 20.4.2/20.9.1/20.10.1 all showed stability issues

I'm really not sure what to do next other than return the gpu although that would be a big hassle (bought from US and live in Dubai)

Would really appreciate some thoughts/recommendations.

Solution
this thread contains a guide on how to do it
Oct 30, 2020
Hey man so im like 85% surethis will cure you i have a 5600xt for awhile now but check this out last night i found a way to install radeon driver. without the software. this should help with crashes. ( everysingle time it crashes it crashes for like no reason right? ) and its always just the software thats crashing then you hear fans get reset and all that BS. well anyway you seem smart. just look up a guide. they will know de way

Oct 30, 2020
Hey man so im like 85% surethis will cure you i have a 5600xt for awhile now but check this out last night i found a way to install radeon driver. without the software. this should help with crashes. ( everysingle time it crashes it crashes for like no reason right? ) and its always just the software thats crashing then you hear fans get reset and all that BS. well anyway you seem smart. just look up a guide. they will know de way
thanks man. do you know where i can find a guide? i didn't find one

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
this thread contains a guide on how to do it

Solution

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
You in good company here. :D I have similar card and has constant bsod when first build. I have the liquid devil and found that drivers on cbox d were partly to blame. You update motherboard bios that good. I try 6-8 different adrenalin versions until I find one that is good for my card. Got much mileage from DDU. Any of the 19.x.x driver cause bsod I suppose no like my bios version. I settle on 20.9.1 it work good for me and I can adjust things in wattman to my liking. Us afterburner seemed to cause wattman to reset all the time so got rid of that its too bad I like. But able to set 2150mhz 1900 ram stable less volts too. Love the quality of Powercolor, hope they make the liquid devil 6800xt.