clayton

I'll try my best to explain my problem and see if anyone here can explain
this because I stumped!

I brought a DELL 8300 in April this year and last month I noticed in Device
Manager under the USB section, there was an entry in there about unknown
device which I tracked down to being the Brother printer, so I replaced the
cable and it still showed up as unknown device, so I changed it to another
USB port and everything worked fine, so I plugged in another USB device
where the printer was and that showed up as unknown and a message showing
unknown device bla, bla, bla, so I rang Dell and said my USB port is faulty
and they send a replacement MB out which I then decided to do a clean
install and all was well until today when I plug in my phone which was
configured to the USB port and it showed up as unknown again (same port) I
unplugged the phone from the cable and plugged it in again and now it's
working fine, Not sure when it will say unknown again....
It maybe a SP-2 issue, I don't know, can someone shed some light on my
problem please, motherboard again??

Thanks

clayton

Just to add to this, the Unknown device under the USB section did not have
any yellow ? beside it, it was like it was installed correctly but after
seaching google I came up with another issue after following these steps.

1. Click Start. Click Run. Type cmd and press OK.
2. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1" (without quotation
marks) and press Enter.
3. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (without
quotation marks) and Press Enter.
4. Type "start devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and
click press Enter.

Then I found a unknown device with the Yellow ? beside it and it was greyed
out, I removed it and refreshed the device manager which it configured a
BASE SYSTEM DEVICE, weird

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I'll try my best to explain my problem and see if anyone here can explain
> this because I stumped!
>
> I brought a DELL 8300 in April this year and last month I noticed in
> Device Manager under the USB section, there was an entry in there about
> unknown device which I tracked down to being the Brother printer, so I
> replaced the cable and it still showed up as unknown device, so I changed
> it to another USB port and everything worked fine, so I plugged in another
> USB device where the printer was and that showed up as unknown and a
> message showing unknown device bla, bla, bla, so I rang Dell and said my
> USB port is faulty and they send a replacement MB out which I then decided
> to do a clean install and all was well until today when I plug in my phone
> which was configured to the USB port and it showed up as unknown again
> (same port) I unplugged the phone from the cable and plugged it in again
> and now it's working fine, Not sure when it will say unknown again....
> It maybe a SP-2 issue, I don't know, can someone shed some light on my
> problem please, motherboard again??
>
> Thanks

After replacement of the motherboard and install of XP, did you reinstall
the motherboard chipset drivers?
www.coribright.com

> Just to add to this, the Unknown device under the USB section did not have
> any yellow ? beside it, it was like it was installed correctly but after
> seaching google I came up with another issue after following these steps.
>
> 1. Click Start. Click Run. Type cmd and press OK.
> 2. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1" (without quotation
> marks) and press Enter.
> 3. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (without
> quotation marks) and Press Enter.
> 4. Type "start devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and
> click press Enter.
>
> Then I found a unknown device with the Yellow ? beside it and it was
> greyed out, I removed it and refreshed the device manager which it
> configured a BASE SYSTEM DEVICE, weird
>

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> I'll try my best to explain my problem and see if anyone here can explain
>> this because I stumped!
>>
>> I brought a DELL 8300 in April this year and last month I noticed in
>> Device Manager under the USB section, there was an entry in there about
>> unknown device which I tracked down to being the Brother printer, so I
>> replaced the cable and it still showed up as unknown device, so I changed
>> it to another USB port and everything worked fine, so I plugged in
>> another USB device where the printer was and that showed up as unknown
>> and a message showing unknown device bla, bla, bla, so I rang Dell and
>> said my USB port is faulty and they send a replacement MB out which I
>> then decided to do a clean install and all was well until today when I
>> plug in my phone which was configured to the USB port and it showed up as
>> unknown again (same port) I unplugged the phone from the cable and
>> plugged it in again and now it's working fine, Not sure when it will say
>> unknown again....
>> It maybe a SP-2 issue, I don't know, can someone shed some light on my
>> problem please, motherboard again??
>>
>> Thanks

clayton

Yes I did, Intel chipset v 5.00.1012 from the dell website

..