[SOLVED] Please help upgrading my PC components i. e. GPU, PSU, RAM, Motherboard etc...

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Good day folks,

I am sadly a newbie when it comes to PC builds, so am seeking help in understanding what parts/components of my PC need to be upgraded in order to be able to get lets say one of the below cards:

Thinking of getting one of below depending on what my pc would be able to handle...

1st option I thought of was this "Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC 12G Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, 12GB 192-bit GDDR6X, GV-N407TGAMING OC-12GD Video Card "

https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Graphics-WINDFORCE-GV-N407TGAMING-OC-12GD/dp/B0BRR2R8HH/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1QNVZYTMH7X8V&keywords=rtx+3070+ti&qid=1679494402&sprefix=rtx+3070,aps,103&sr=8-24

OR

2nd option I'd consider if the 1st option would be an overkill for my PC to handle is GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0) Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, LHR, 8GB 256-bit GDDR6, GV-N3070GAMING OC-8GD REV2.0 Video Card

https://www.amazon.ca/GIGABYTE-REV2-0-WINDFORCE-GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD/dp/B098Q4M4WH/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1QNVZYTMH7X8V&keywords=rtx+3070+ti&qid=1679494402&sprefix=rtx+3070,aps,103&sr=8-21

OR

3rd option I'd consider even though I believe its not that big of an upgrade even though its cheap(er) I guess would be this GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G (REV2.0) Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, 12GB 192-bit GDDR6, GV-N3060GAMING OC-12GD REV2.0 Video Card

https://www.amazon.ca/GIGABYTE-REV2...0971BG25M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

There are plenty of them on Amazon, the 3060s and 3070s, so the above are just what I'd think I'd be interested in, but I'd probably go with a TI version of either 3060 or 3070, preferably 3070 if im told 4070 won't be doable with my bad PC. When I say bad its nort really. I understand its not really good for some, but honestly it does the job even now, can play any game without issue on 1080p, but its time for an upgrade and buying a new pre built pc cause i cant build my own is really expensive, so i want to see how much it would cost me to maybe just upgrade my existing one and see the difference....

That said I will really be grateful if someone could advise based on my PC specs below what components would require upgrading prior getting lets say a 4070 TI or at least a 3070 TI or even a 3060 TI for my PC to be able to run the card and not kill the PC. If im just told the brand lets say "go get an MSI mother board" without any specifics i e version/model, I'd still be lost, so if somone wouldnt mind maybe even sharing a link to the exact mother board or not a link, but a specific model i need to be looking for, same for psu etc that would fit my PC I'd really appreciate the effort, otherwise I'd likely still be confused cause each brand has so many mother boards, psu's etc and I have no clue which one I'd need, same goes for any other components, so specifics for each needed component would be greatly appreciated 🙏

My pre built PC is around 4 years old with below specs + benchmark results:

SystemCyberpowerpc C SERIES (all builds)
MotherboardASRock B360M Xtreme
Memory21.7 GB free of 32 GB @ 2.1 GHz
Display2560 x 1440 - 32 Bit colors
OSWindows 10
BIOS Date20181025
Uptime6.1 Days
Run DateMar 22 '23 at 13:47
Run Duration125 Seconds
Run UserCAN-User
Background CPU13%

My POWER SUPPLY is a: Thermaltake Smart Series 600W (80 Plus)

Benchmark Result
: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60194395

Clearly I'd need a proper mother board as mine is terrible, I think my PSU is definitely not enough for 3070, not sure bout 3060, let alone 4070.

Also Im not a fan of liquid colling systems, never had it and it scares me, so Im sticking with my CPU fan and im not sure if a better video card plays any role in making my CPU fan taking a heavier load or irrelevant at all. My pc case is not good either, bad ventilation ,but i wont be looking to change it at this time, if anything i'd keep my cover open in the summer to lower temps.

Attaching a few pics of how my pc looks like on the inside.

I'd appreciate if you'd be able to suggest every single component that I'd need to buy in order to be able to run a 4070 ti on it or please advise if you think 4070 is a no go then I'd appreciate knowing the maximum and minimum I could get while keeping my same fans in place, same cpu, fan in place, same case with the addition of another card or at least advise if you think my pc is doomed and i should not be getting anything highier than maybe 3060 TI then im fine with that and i'd just then need to know what components to get to be able to run a 3060 TI unless maybe all I'd need is just the PSU for it and I could still get by with my current mother board and everything else for another year or two?

Attaching some pic with the last being the inside of my pc which hopefully would give an idea as to what I could fit in there.

Thanks a lot!

IMG-0432.jpg

IMG-0688.jpg

IMG-0690.jpg

IMG-0693.jpg

IMG-0695.jpg

IMG-4315.jpg

Solution
Most of the hardware is sufficient for any of these GPU upgrades. At a 4070 Ti, you might start getting into situations where your CPU starts to be a limiting factor, but a 9700K shouldn't have any issue with the either GPUs for sure. They're about as powerful as the 2080 Ti, which came out when there was no significantly better gaming CPU than a 8700K/9700K/9900K available. Whether you still want to upgrade is a hard thing for someone to value other than yourself; we'd also need a budget because literally any PC can be upgraded.

The biggest problem is the PSU. Unfortunately, it looks like you just went with the stock PSU which Cyberpower threw in there, meaning it's very cheap junk that they only need to trust enough...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Most of the hardware is sufficient for any of these GPU upgrades. At a 4070 Ti, you might start getting into situations where your CPU starts to be a limiting factor, but a 9700K shouldn't have any issue with the either GPUs for sure. They're about as powerful as the 2080 Ti, which came out when there was no significantly better gaming CPU than a 8700K/9700K/9900K available. Whether you still want to upgrade is a hard thing for someone to value other than yourself; we'd also need a budget because literally any PC can be upgraded.

The biggest problem is the PSU. Unfortunately, it looks like you just went with the stock PSU which Cyberpower threw in there, meaning it's very cheap junk that they only need to trust enough to get the PSU through a year. The SMART series is a notoriously poor series, group-regulated garbage with ultra-cheap parts and cut corners everywhere. This probably should have been removed and sent to the recycling center before the PC was even turned on for the first time; it definitely should never have been in the PC a minute past when Cyberpower's warranty was in effect.

There are lots of good PSUs out there and you don't need some ultra fancy 1200W Titanium PSU or anything. But the exact PSU recommendation would come down to which GPU you choose.

Reactions: fragment0
Solution

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015

The biggest problem is the PSU. Unfortunately, it looks like you just went with the stock PSU which Cyberpower threw in there, meaning it's very cheap junk that they only need to trust enough to get the PSU through a year. The SMART series is a notoriously poor series, group-regulated garbage with ultra-cheap parts and cut corners everywhere. This probably should have been removed and sent to the recycling center before the PC was even turned on for the first time; it definitely should never have been in the PC a minute past when Cyberpower's warranty was in effect.

There are lots of good PSUs out there and you don't need some ultra fancy 1200W Titanium PSU or anything. But the exact PSU recommendation would come down to which GPU you choose.

Ahhhh, perfect, thanks for the reply. As for budget I guess its whatever, I just wanted someone who knows stuff to suggest what mother board, psu, ram etc I'd need to get to be able to throw a 3070 TI at least in there just so that I had an idea. Doesnt have to be top notch, but was hoping for suggestions/examples of what somone would get if they had my PC/case/components. Based on what you said I believe all i need is the better PCU then? My crappy motherboard should have no issues with a highier end cards and shouldnt have performance issues? Sorry, im just unaware if motherboard has any impact on gpu, but if it should be enough for me to just upgrade my PCU to i guess 800W then all the other components I shared should be enough to keep as is for RTX 3070 and maybe 4070 or?

Good day folks,

I am sadly a newbie when it comes to PC builds, so am seeking help in understanding what parts/components of my PC need to be upgraded in order to be able to get lets say one of the below cards:

Thinking of getting one of below depending on what my pc would be able to handle...

1st option I thought of was this "Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC 12G Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, 12GB 192-bit GDDR6X, GV-N407TGAMING OC-12GD Video Card "

https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Graphics-WINDFORCE-GV-N407TGAMING-OC-12GD/dp/B0BRR2R8HH/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1QNVZYTMH7X8V&keywords=rtx+3070+ti&qid=1679494402&sprefix=rtx+3070,aps,103&sr=8-24

OR

2nd option I'd consider if the 1st option would be an overkill for my PC to handle is GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0) Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, LHR, 8GB 256-bit GDDR6, GV-N3070GAMING OC-8GD REV2.0 Video Card

https://www.amazon.ca/GIGABYTE-REV2-0-WINDFORCE-GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD/dp/B098Q4M4WH/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1QNVZYTMH7X8V&keywords=rtx+3070+ti&qid=1679494402&sprefix=rtx+3070,aps,103&sr=8-21

OR

3rd option I'd consider even though I believe its not that big of an upgrade even though its cheap(er) I guess would be this GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G (REV2.0) Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, 12GB 192-bit GDDR6, GV-N3060GAMING OC-12GD REV2.0 Video Card

https://www.amazon.ca/GIGABYTE-REV2...0971BG25M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

There are plenty of them on Amazon, the 3060s and 3070s, so the above are just what I'd think I'd be interested in, but I'd probably go with a TI version of either 3060 or 3070, preferably 3070 if im told 4070 won't be doable with my bad PC. When I say bad its nort really. I understand its not really good for some, but honestly it does the job even now, can play any game without issue on 1080p, but its time for an upgrade and buying a new pre built pc cause i cant build my own is really expensive, so i want to see how much it would cost me to maybe just upgrade my existing one and see the difference....

That said I will really be grateful if someone could advise based on my PC specs below what components would require upgrading prior getting lets say a 4070 TI or at least a 3070 TI or even a 3060 TI for my PC to be able to run the card and not kill the PC. If im just told the brand lets say "go get an MSI mother board" without any specifics i e version/model, I'd still be lost, so if somone wouldnt mind maybe even sharing a link to the exact mother board or not a link, but a specific model i need to be looking for, same for psu etc that would fit my PC I'd really appreciate the effort, otherwise I'd likely still be confused cause each brand has so many mother boards, psu's etc and I have no clue which one I'd need, same goes for any other components, so specifics for each needed component would be greatly appreciated 🙏

My pre built PC is around 4 years old with below specs + benchmark results:

SystemCyberpowerpc C SERIES (all builds)
MotherboardASRock B360M Xtreme
Memory21.7 GB free of 32 GB @ 2.1 GHz
Display2560 x 1440 - 32 Bit colors
OSWindows 10
BIOS Date20181025
Uptime6.1 Days
Run DateMar 22 '23 at 13:47
Run Duration125 Seconds
Run UserCAN-User
Background CPU13%

My POWER SUPPLY is a: Thermaltake Smart Series 600W (80 Plus)

Benchmark Result
: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60194395

Clearly I'd need a proper mother board as mine is terrible, I think my PSU is definitely not enough for 3070, not sure bout 3060, let alone 4070.

Also Im not a fan of liquid colling systems, never had it and it scares me, so Im sticking with my CPU fan and im not sure if a better video card plays any role in making my CPU fan taking a heavier load or irrelevant at all. My pc case is not good either, bad ventilation ,but i wont be looking to change it at this time, if anything i'd keep my cover open in the summer to lower temps.

Attaching a few pics of how my pc looks like on the inside.

I'd appreciate if you'd be able to suggest every single component that I'd need to buy in order to be able to run a 4070 ti on it or please advise if you think 4070 is a no go then I'd appreciate knowing the maximum and minimum I could get while keeping my same fans in place, same cpu, fan in place, same case with the addition of another card or at least advise if you think my pc is doomed and i should not be getting anything highier than maybe 3060 TI then im fine with that and i'd just then need to know what components to get to be able to run a 3060 TI unless maybe all I'd need is just the PSU for it and I could still get by with my current mother board and everything else for another year or two?

Attaching some pic with the last being the inside of my pc which hopefully would give an idea as to what I could fit in there.

Thanks a lot!

IMG-0432.jpg

IMG-0688.jpg

IMG-0690.jpg

IMG-0693.jpg

IMG-0695.jpg

IMG-4315.jpg
Enable xmp in the bios....test.