Please Help. Using ethernet of wifi repeater

Insulares

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
I will work from home and I am required to have a wired connection to ensure stability, but I dont want to use long cables. Can I use a repeater with ethernet port? Ive been told the company tech will check remotely if I am connected to ethernet and not to my wifi router. Will they know that im only connected to the repeater's ethernet? I'm planning to purchase something like this:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5508_TL-WA850RE.html

Is there a better way to do this? My router's lan port is weirdly far slower than my actual plan. Thats another problem, im not sure when will the tech fix it, and i need this job now.

Solution
Powerline units are really simplistic devices you plug one in each power outlet push the button to sync them and plug in your cable.

Although you can use the older av200 and av500 based units the ones based on the newer av2 technology work much better in most houses and there is not a huge difference in price.

The exact part number varies a bit because of the difference in plug types between countries. I would look at the tplink av2-600 models but you should get good results from other brands also.

Be aware these work in pairs one by the router and one near your computer.

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
best thing if you have to use wired is run it to the room you are using or have someone do it for you. they could tell if remotely logging in otherwise no. your repeater you are showing is to extend wifi and have a wired connection from your router to the link not your computer. no way should your wired be slower unless a problem with your router, your computer ethernet port or possibly driver issue. I would opt for running lan cable to where you plan on working.

You could but for best results it needs to run as a bridge only not as a repeater. Without reading the manual I don't know if it has that feature. Running it as a repeater it output a wifi signal that interferes with the main router and since you are using ethernet to the device it does not need to do that.

The company may not be able to directly tell you are using this trick but if they monitor the quality of the connection and see spikes in the latency they will suspect a problem. I am going to bet you are running a VoIP over this which is why they have the requirement. Wifi causes lots of quality issues on voice. You would have to be very lucky to not have any interference.

I would consider powerline network device...preferably the newer av2 based ones. This is much closer to a ethenret cable in quality, of course a ethernet cable can pass more bandwidth.

Insulares

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

With a powerline network device, do I still need to configure it to run only as a bridge? And could you please auggest a cheap one? Thanks

Powerline units are really simplistic devices you plug one in each power outlet push the button to sync them and plug in your cable.

Although you can use the older av200 and av500 based units the ones based on the newer av2 technology work much better in most houses and there is not a huge difference in price.

The exact part number varies a bit because of the difference in plug types between countries. I would look at the tplink av2-600 models but you should get good results from other brands also.

Be aware these work in pairs one by the router and one near your computer.

Solution