[SOLVED] PLEASE HELP!! Very strange CPU issue, cant figure out if its faulty hardware or some sort of virus/malware.

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hello all,

I have spent the best part of a week attempting to sort out my current computer problem, but have had limited success and now am reaching out to you for help. As of 1 week ago my computer has been having issues with my CPU randomly, on idle, with an unchanged voltage, skyrocket in temperature to the point that within minutes it hits the max temp and shuts down.

I have attempted dozens of scans on my computer with Malwarebytes, Roguekiller and a full scan PC scan with Microsoft Defender but it crashes before it can even get close to finishing most. I managed to split the scans into much smaller parts and thus completed a full scan of my pc with Malwarebytes over the course of a few days, which found nothing. I then attempted a Windows Defender Offline scan, which upon completion found 5 unwanted files/viruses/malware and had deleted it. This has definitely reduced my BSOD crashes and the amount that the issue is occurring for the first day or so, but the issue is back in full force.

I have attached a video of the issue (its not the best recording, but you get the picture):
View: https://youtu.be/nqajEsR_msI?t=90

As can be seen on the video, my temps are surging while task manager claims the CPU is idle and there are no suspicious programs running. Resource Manager says the same thing. I'm just at a total loss at this stage, its been a week and I still haven't been able to figure out if my PC is having dire driver issues, infected with a virus/malware, or if the CPU is simply faulty after just under 3 years of use (meaning warranty is still active).

This is especially baffling to me because the overclock is stable and can run for hours on end (last time I think 4hrs prime95 before I stopped it). It reached a max temp of around 65c at full load, however this issue occurs at 'idle', with the same voltage (according to CPU-Z & HWiNFO) and reaches 90c within minutes before turning off due to thermal max.
Another interesting thing to note, is that this issue only appears to occur when the computer is idle. Meaning that so far my only real 'protection' is running a video game in the background while using the computer. Over the course of the past few days I can run the computer for hours on end with a game running, but it will have the CPU overheating issue if idle any time 5 minutes or so after startup. So far I dont think the PC has lasted more than 90 minutes idling, or having a lesser workload (e.g a system scan with anti-virus).

While typing this I think I have heard the CPU fans ramp up around 4 times (indicating a 15c+ rise in temp instantly), but because I have a game running in the background the temperatures do not continue to rise leading to the inevitable crash due to thermals.

P.S. Most of the time when I get a BSOD (only happened once since the Offline Defender scan 2 days ago) it gives the error: 'Kernel Auto Boost Invalid Lock Release'

I'm honestly quite desperate for some fresh ideas and would be super appreciative for any support![/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Solution
So. I've replaced the CPU and had it running the best part of 2 days and there have been no crashes since, my guess is the previous CPU has simply become faulty after 2 years or so of usage.

I'm away from home a few days and will have time to do more regular usage again after I'm back. I will update the thread once again if the issue does come back with the new CPU, fingers crossed it wont!

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions.
All the best,
Jordan.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Hi thanks for the quick response.

I have a Nepton 240M liquid cooler and the compound I reapplied around a month ago from a brand new thermal compound pack.

Your CPU is acting really bizare lol
I recommend you contact your CPU manufacturer on this matter, as I cannot offer much help on this issue other then to try to reseat your cooler.

HI, really strange thing you got there.

Since you mention OC is working great while having load on the CPU, I will start there, but just in case I will also check:

1. Are all the case and radiator fans, the radiator and grills clean ?

2. You could try and see if the same happend while on BIOS, just restart the PC, enter to BIOS (DEL or F2), go the the monitoring screen (where volatages and temps are shown) and see what happend. Just leave the PC there and check the values. That way your system is in some kind of "idle" state. If nothing bad occurs on BIOS, then either the OC, some hardware or the W10 installation/driver/software have issues.

3. I know OC is sometimes a hard process to fine tune, but at this point I will just go into BIOS and click the "reset to default options", save and restart the machine to see if it changes this wierd behavior youre having (most new BIOS let you save profiles, so you could save a profile of your current OC setup and then do the "reset to default").

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
HI, really strange thing you got there.

Since you mention OC is working great while having load on the CPU, I will start there, but just in case I will also check:

1. Are all the case and radiator fans, the radiator and grills clean ?

2. You could try and see if the same happend while on BIOS, just restart the PC, enter to BIOS (DEL or F2), go the the monitoring screen (where volatages and temps are shown) and see what happend. Just leave the PC there and check the values. That way your system is in some kind of "idle" state. If nothing bad occurs on BIOS, then either the OC, some hardware or the W10 installation/driver/software have issues.

3. I know OC is sometimes a hard process to fine tune, but at this point I will just go into BIOS and click the "reset to default options", save and restart the machine to see if it changes this wierd behavior youre having (most new BIOS let you save profiles, so you could save a profile of your current OC setup and then do the "reset to default").
Hello, yeah I forgot to mention that this issue still occurs when the PC has the factory default BIOS setup. Though I haven't tried idling on BIOS yet! The radiator fans and the like I cleaned out at the same time that I reapplied the thermal paste, so that would have been around a month ago. Airflow in my system is sufficient and I am certain that the cooler is attached correctly.

Its real weird whats going on at the moment, I guess I'm leaning towards some sort of software problem over hardware issue, but I just dont know for sure yet.

Hello, yeah I forgot to mention that this issue still occurs when the PC has the factory default BIOS setup. Though I haven't tried idling on BIOS yet! The radiator fans and the like I cleaned out at the same time that I reapplied the thermal paste, so that would have been around a month ago. Airflow in my system is sufficient and I am certain that the cooler is attached correctly.

Its real weird whats going on at the moment, I guess I'm leaning towards some sort of software problem over hardware issue, but I just dont know for sure yet.

I see, you could also try Windows safe/secure mode, and see if it still happend on idle, there are many videos and guides on how to start your PC on those modes.

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I see, you could also try Windows safe/secure mode, and see if it still happend on idle, there are many videos and guides on how to start your PC on those modes.
This is one of the big reasons why I'm leaning towards software issue over hardware, when I ran the computer in safe mode without networking it ran for a couple hours, completing the scans I wanted to do before I restarted it back into normal mode. I'm guessing that would indicate a virus or corrupt windows?

This is one of the big reasons why I'm leaning towards software issue over hardware, when I ran the computer in safe mode without networking it ran for a couple hours, completing the scans I wanted to do before I restarted it back into normal mode. I'm guessing that would indicate a virus or corrupt windows?

lol you forgot to mention a few things didn't you? ;-)

Anyways, yeah its strange, but really posible to be a software issue. If you have the time, I would try a clean install of Windows, then let it update drivers via Windows update, try your PC for half hour or so, and then, just then, install the lastest and missing drivers, then keep the PC runing yfor half hour or so, finally, very slowly, one by one, install all the software you use, but leave a good amount of time between each install to check and see if everything keeps working fine.

If try and do all that and still have issues then either a piece of software is having some incompatibility issues with your hardware, or theres some problem in your actual hardware (CPU-Motherboard-and less likely RAM).

But yeah, make sure you are using the lastest drivers and always from the manufacturer page, for example, you have nvidia GPU, donwload drivers from nvidia, AMD CPU+Motherboard then download chipset drivers and CPU software from AMD website, etc.

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Y
lol you forgot to mention a few things didn't you? ;-)

Anyways, yeah its strange, but really posible to be a software issue. If you have the time, I would try a clean install of Windows, then let it update drivers via Windows update, try your PC for half hour or so, and then, just then, install the lastest and missing drivers, then keep the PC runing yfor half hour or so, finally, very slowly, one by one, install all the software you use, but leave a good amount of time between each install to check and see if everything keeps working fine.

If try and do all that and still have issues then either a piece of software is having some incompatibility issues with your hardware, or theres some problem in your actual hardware (CPU-Motherboard-and less likely RAM).

But yeah, make sure you are using the lastest drivers and always from the manufacturer page, for example, you have nvidia GPU, donwload drivers from nvidia, AMD CPU+Motherboard then download chipset drivers and CPU software from AMD website, etc.
Yeah hehe sorry about that, it was a whole week so I did try quite a few things ^^. Hard to remember all the stuff I tried. I do agree though, at this stage a clean install of Windows seems like it may be the best course of action, though I'll need to wait a week since I am currently on a limited data plan.

However, when I went back through the event log a little while ago, it seems like this problem started occurring after I uninstalled my AMD software due to RyzenMaster not allowing me to install it. I did straight after install the newest AMD chipset, though RyzenMaster still wont install. It claims there is a newer version already installed, when there is definitely not.

Perhaps there's some software I haven't reinstalled, which is causing the issue? I dont know.

I have to say though, the past 2 weeks this PC has been giving me a big 'ol headache, everything's been breaking lol. This is the 3rd, but certainly most major issue in the past 2 weeks.

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Wow, well I did uninstall/update drivers and stuff from AMD on my Ryzen 5 3600 and I didnt find any wierd issues like yours. But it seems its a pretty solid software related problem.
Yeahhh, cause fuck me right :tearsofjoy:. Either way I'm trying to get it to crash again so I can get a memory dumpfile, but now of all times its not crashing hahaha. In the meanwhile I'll just check out some more of AMD's software and see if there's some other drivers etc I could be installing.

Reactions: RodroX

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Maybe I read too quickly but I don't see your hardware listed (save your cooler). What CPU and motherboard are you running?
Nope not a mistake on your part, I haven't mentioned my rig's details. I run a Ryzen 1600 currently OC'd to 3.75GHz @ 1.3250V, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, 32GB of GDDR4 RAM @ 2933Mhz on a MSI B450M Mortar mobo. Boot drive is a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb, with 2x 2tb HDD's for games etc. I think thats everything worth mentioning?

Nope not a mistake on your part, I haven't mentioned my rig's details. I run a Ryzen 1600 currently OC'd to 3.75GHz @ 1.3250V, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, 32GB of GDDR4 RAM @ 2933Mhz on a MSI B450M Mortar mobo. Boot drive is a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb, with 2x 2tb HDD's for games etc. I think thats everything worth mentioning?
Thanks. Couple things:
  1. While I do like the video idea, the orientation is backwards for what you are trying to show us. Please post another video as close as possible in Landscape so that we can better see in relevant information.
  2. For the time being run the CPU at stock speed and stock voltage. Confirm if the issue is/is not still occurring.

Last edited:

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Thanks. Could things:
  1. While I do like the video idea, the orientation is backwards for what you are trying to show us. Please post another video as close as possible in Landscape so that we can better see in relevant information.
  2. For the time being run the CPU at stock speed and stock voltage. Confirm if the issue is/is not still occurring.
Yeah the video was initially for a friend to have a quick peek, which is why the quality is so atrocious haha.
I've done all those checks, the pump and fans all are working great.

So I took the advice of one of my friends which was that with these kinds of things, when we've exhausted most of the advanced solutions, oftentimes the problem is being caused by something very simple. So I scoured through my BIOS trying to see if there was some setting that was incorrect, or perhaps an unstable CPU feature activated etc.
What I discovered was that for some bizarre reason my boot drive had changed from my SSD, to my 7 year old 2TB HDD which has pretty much the original install of windows 10 on it. So I switched it back to the SSD and so far the system has been running much better than before, but its still quite early to declare this my fix. Strange thing though is that I didn't notice the speed difference for loading Win10 on a HDD vs SSD so I'm not sure if it ever actually used the HDD's Windows install yet.

If its still stable at idle and while completing 1 full scan today, then I would feel comfortable declaring it fixed. Makes me feel a bit silly, but oh well. Either way I suppose the suggestion for clean install of Windows 10 would be the most likely fix for anyone experiencing similar issues - as long as their boot drive is not incorrect on the BIOS like mine was.

But thank you all so much for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!
And it may not be fixed yet for all I know.

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Okay, so all of yesterday my PC ran stably and had no BSOD's or CPU overheating on idle issues. However this morning, first thing the machine does is the exact same CPU overheat right to 90c before the system shuts down again. If it happens again this morning I will try to record it - in landscape this time hahah.

Whatever this issue is, it appears to still exist.

Okay, so all of yesterday my PC ran stably and had no BSOD's or CPU overheating on idle issues. However this morning, first thing the machine does is the exact same CPU overheat right to 90c before the system shuts down again. If it happens again this morning I will try to record it - in landscape this time hahah.

Are you 100% sure your PC is booting from the right drive this time ?

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

110% certain its booting from the correct drive. Another interesting discovery, upon noticing the issue starting, I opted to simply click the 'restart' button instead of hitting 'shut-down' and waiting a minute or so for it to cool down. This actually crashed my PC while it was booting back up post shutdown. Makes me think its actually hardware since a virus or dodgy software would not be running post restart.

I'll be purchasing a new Ryzen 3700x next week, if that fixes the problem then it was the CPU all along and I'll just claim warranty on this new chip. Any further suggestions or comments would still be totally appreciated though since I'm still pretty stumped lol!

JordanCanFly2

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
On the same page there is an option to grab BIOS 132, which is still newer than what you have. May want to try that one first.
On which page is there an option to grab BIOS 132? Happy to give it a try.

Also, here is the 2nd video I've uploaded, its a bit briefer and the CPU wasn't fully idle because it was still intialising since it was only 25 seconds or so since it had booted into windows. Hopefully this video is clearer:

View: https://youtu.be/3BFwuRJUouE