PLEASE HELP W/GEFORCE2 GTS PRO

G

i have p3@933, 768mb ram, via694x/686a, bios v.1.00. I have already d-loaded the via 4in 1's. I have the latest nvidia drivers. unreal tournament and undying, and alice do not recognize that i even have a card. Undying worked for a minute then crashed with some critical error about being out of memory. I know gts is supposed to have it's own IRQ. Mine has 11, but also my soundblaster live card has 11. I do not know how to change this. Can this truly be all i need to do? In the device manager there are no conflicts listed and everything says status ok. Really frustrating, just upgraded from mx400-64 and that worked perfectly. starting to regret buying this card. Please help PS. the game error started like this(it was too long to write the whole thing)" 'critical error' failed to preallocate textures, 4x4:DDERR_OUT OF MEMORY BTW-the card is Viiontek

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most people who own Intel CPU's do so in an effor to avoid problems liek yours, which are related to the VIA chipset. Fixing it may be as easy as going into BIOS and picking "PNP OS-NO". If that doesn't work, get back to us.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

if you're using win98 or winme, those operating systems start having problems with any amount of ram more than 512mb. it happens to be the limitation of the 9x kernel. it's somewhere in the ms knowledge base. they recommend using nt/2k or simply putting in 512mb max. sorry i don't have the link to it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OH, hey, I didn't even look at that-MS posted a workaround for the issue, which has to do with how many memory address are available in the lower memory regions. Easier just to go with 512MB. He may be able to solve his problem that way, especially if he is caching Video Ram, or set it not to cache Video Ram in BIOS.

G

thank you for your reply.i don't know what I';m supposed to do. Just change that setting to NO, or am I supposed to also reassign something to a different irq somehow. Also, should I take out some of my RAM? thank you

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would simply change the setting to "NO" and see if it is configured properly by BIOS (instead of the OS). I would also remove some memory to make your system 512MB

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
More importantly, who is the Motherboard Manufacturer, buying Via is bad, it's not as much of a pain as the AMD side but it's still buggy. If you throw a cheap manufacturer in there then your really askin for trouble.

You said Bios 1.00, check and see if flashing a newer BIOS will help you out a bit.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

G

well, I got it to work. I really appreciate all your help. I had to pull some RAM like you said and also I just moved my soundcard to a different PCI and it got a new IRQ# assigned to it. Everything seems to be working ok now. :)