[SOLVED] Please help! Wifi support - how can I extend wifi throughout my house - mesh network or extender? Which brand?!

Jan 16, 2021
Hi there. I was wondering if I could have some support regarding wifi. I currently have a Virgin Media box but it only works in one room and due to the design of our house and the thick walls, Virgin said it cannot reach all the rooms. It is the TV room which is on the side of our house on the 1st floor (I basement room) - the main house is 4 floors high. We would like it to reach all the bedrooms as currently working from home is difficult all in the same room. I was wondering what wifi system would allow us to be on Zoom/watch netflix from all our rooms at the same time (4 people live in the house)? We ideally would like the cheapest option that works. I am not very wifi - literate so I am struggling to work out what is best! Virgin reccomended Netgear but I don't know if this is the best and if so, what type?

We need to keep the wifi box in the tv room as its the best room to work in!

Thank you!

Solution
Hi there. I was wondering if I could have some support regarding wifi. I currently have a Virgin Media box but it only works in one room and due to the design of our house and the thick walls, Virgin said it cannot reach all the rooms. It is the TV room which is on the side of our house on the 1st floor (I basement room) - the main house is 4 floors high. We would like it to reach all the bedrooms as currently working from home is difficult all in the same room. I was wondering what wifi system would allow us to be on Zoom/watch netflix from all our rooms at the same time (4 people live in the house)? We ideally would like the cheapest option that works. I am not very wifi - literate so I am struggling to work out what is best...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there. I was wondering if I could have some support regarding wifi. I currently have a Virgin Media box but it only works in one room and due to the design of our house and the thick walls, Virgin said it cannot reach all the rooms. It is the TV room which is on the side of our house on the 1st floor (I basement room) - the main house is 4 floors high. We would like it to reach all the bedrooms as currently working from home is difficult all in the same room. I was wondering what wifi system would allow us to be on Zoom/watch netflix from all our rooms at the same time (4 people live in the house)? We ideally would like the cheapest option that works. I am not very wifi - literate so I am struggling to work out what is best! Virgin reccomended Netgear but I don't know if this is the best and if so, what type?

We need to keep the wifi box in the tv room as its the best room to work in!

Thank you!
There is no substitute for wire. If you can't get good WIFI signal for devices, then a extender probably won't work well either.
Do you have any coax cable installed in the house ? If so, you should look at MoCA adapters to create an ethernet connection to the other floors.
If not, you should consider paying a professional to install ethernet cabling.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS