Please help! Windows 10 keeps "un-disabling" the update service as of 2 days ago, and keeps taking over my PC like a virus.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kevin Weinberg

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
I don't want to update anything on Windows 10 Pro X64. I don't want to regardless of what anyone has said. It should be my right to choose not to.

At any rate, for about a year this was no problem. But as of about 2 days ago, Windows 10 has begun installing new programs without my permission and is constantly trying to update.

I've had the Windows Update service disabled (in services.msc) for about a year with no problems, but now, Windows 10 has actually found a way to re-enable it WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

It's used over 15gb of space on my SSD, and every now and again, my computer gets locked out and a message pops up that says:

"Windows cannot install the newest security features until you update to the newest version of windows" (something like that)

I am 100% sure this is not a virus. At least not in the sense that this is definitely coming from Microsoft.

I don't want to download or install their damned updates. I don't like the Foundations update and I don't want it, period.

Can anyone help me?

Solution
you're not paranoid, MS does "spy" on you with win 10. it watches literally everything you do, catalogs your files, contacts, and anything else on your pc. Cortana is the excuse they use. in order for cortana to know what you mean, it keeps tabs on everything you do.

this is not paranoia but fact. you are not wrong and i feel the same way for sure. i have gotten cortana uninstalled and many other things i don't like from win 10 but still working on getting windows update gone for good. i've made my own custom windows installs since win 98 days and stopped at win 7. but i feel compelled to do it now with win 10 so i can use it again.

when i have time to finish it i'll post a tutorial on how to remove this junk from the install files...
Jul 26, 2018
UPDATE. After weeks of disabling updates through services.msc a new issue arose. I could not access my MS Office 365 at all unless I agreed to Office End users License. Odd because I'd been using the latest purchase of MS Office 365 for about 6 weeks. But this was not accessible until the above was approved. Now suddenly, I have NOT been nagged by the pressure to install updates. What concerns me is the appearance of an unknown user account S-1-15-3-1024-1065365936-1281604716-3511738428-1654721687-432734479-3232135806-4053264122-3456934681
made visible by accessing Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0 then right click to access permissions.

Please help. I am not very techie and this is causing me sleepless nights. Thanks.

PS - I've removed my concern about Windows Defender not updating with error code 2147023817. It dawned on me that reversing boaster's helpful workaround solved this. DOH! I really am not very techie. But my concerns about the Unknown User Account remains. Thanks.

Dec 28, 2018

Hello Kevin,

Maybe it's a little bit late, but i found a simple solution for your problem, which by the way bothered me a lot too.

Just use the default MS firewall to block the service "Windows Update" - fight microsoft with their own tools =)

Go to the firewall --> create a new outbound rule --> choose custom --> click button customize (services) --> choose apply to this service --> search for "windows update" in the list --> click OK --> click 5x next --> type in a name and click finish

That's it, enjoy.