PLEASE HELP! Windows 7 OS on HDD, Switched to Windows 10 OS on Another HDD

franklypcadept

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
So I recently got this new computer as a gift, but it seems that this computer has some sort of sds login I need to get in. It's Windows 7, but I've never gotten to the OS yet. Me being me, I decided to use my current computer's HDD with Windows 10 on it to bypass the sds login screen. So I swap out the two HDD and booted up the computer. Everything seems to work except for the fact I'm facing a black screen with a blinking white cursor.

I looked up that most Dell computers can't have more than 127GB in hard drive space and this one had 160GB HDD inside, so I'm assuming they partitioned it so that the main drive had less than 127GB.

Now that it has 1TB + Windows 10 instead of Windows 7, is there any way I can make this work without having to reinstall Windows since I no longer have disks for it?

Solution

It just needs a full wipe and reinstall. Simple as that.
Probably need to purchase a license key for it as well.

USAFRet

Titan
1. You're incorrect in that "most Dell computers can't have more than 127GB in hard drive space"
Totally false.

2. Putting a drive from a different system is unlikely to actually work. As you have seen.
"Everything seems to work except for the fact I'm facing a black screen with a blinking white cursor."

3. "sds login" ?
You'll have to ask the person who gave it to you.
We cannot assist with circumventing passwords. At all.

franklypcadept

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
I can't help but feel attacked. I posted here in hopes of getting help.

1. I looked up the thing about the Dell's, I just assumed it was right because it wasn't taking my 1 TB hard drive. I didn't know if it was right or wrong, thank you for correcting me.

2. Maybe you should try to give me an answer to fix it instead of telling me it won't work, of course I know it doesn't work.

3. I got this computer from a recycler, who in turn got it from someone else, I can't trace back that far.

I posted here in hopes of getting helped, but did not think I was going to be judged this hard. I actually really like this website. Would appreciate someone actually being nice and polite instead of straight up telling me how wrong I am and that it doesn't work.

Just maybe tell me why it won't work; is it the drivers? Are they not updated or compatible? Is the hard drive used to being in my other computer? At least give me something to work with, or at least bring my hopes up.

USAFRet is right on all counts, no use attacking him. Most problems stem from wrong drivers, specially when it comes to brand name computers. Drivers for them you might have to get in install-able form from manufacturer and inject them in your Windows ISO before attempting installation.