Please Help, Windows not resetting or installing new update

macawsareawesome

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
I'm working on trying to completely reset my fathers old laptop, I took all the files he wanted off and I am now looking into completely resetting the system. I'm almost clueless at what the problem could be. I tried updating windows and I got the error code 0xc0020036 . The media creation tool gave me 0x8007043C - 0x90017 . Whenever I click the "Reset this PC" nothing happens. It also only runs at all when in safe mode. If i do manage to get into the reset this pc menu when not in safe mode it just tells me "There was a problem resetting your pc, no changes were made" And when I go into the advanced settings when holding shift to restart it tells me to login into an administrators account, where none of the accounts "which i have made sure are set as admins" even show up. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
down load the media creation tool on a different computer install it to a USB flash drive you will need a blank 4GB USB flash drive.
you say you can load up safe mode did you go to the system configuration tool and check the services tab all need to be checked.
if the built in restore is not working just use the USB flash with windows on it to reprogram the computer.

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
down load the media creation tool on a different computer install it to a USB flash drive you will need a blank 4GB USB flash drive.
you say you can load up safe mode did you go to the system configuration tool and check the services tab all need to be checked.
if the built in restore is not working just use the USB flash with windows on it to reprogram the computer.

Solution