Question PLEASE HELP, windows tweaked files after formatting partitions and moving files onto formatted partitions

Apr 30, 2019
Good evening everyone,

I run a Win 7 on a 120 GB SSD Disk, and have a 500GB disk being used for storage. The 500 GB disk was divided into two partitions. For the purpose of deleting some old windows installation files present on each partition, that weren't able to be deleted due to permissions from the old administrator (trust me, I have spend roughly 3 or 4 hours using EVERY and ANY method known to man to override these permissions to delete these old installation files), I decided to move files that I actually needed from one partition of the old hard drive to the other partition, in order to format each partition alternately, so I did that. So after moving all files on to one partition, and formatting the other, again moved the files I needed from that partition back to the newly formatted partition, in order to keep the files and format the second partition as well, and I did this, also with success. The problem appeared when I wanted to access the files and actually use them, because after this moving about and formatting, the moved files still take up physical space, and are seemingly accessible and visible, but windows treats them as if they aren't no longer located there. Each and every file cannot be opened by the programs, and when trying to copy and move the files again I get this message from windows explorer : "The item is no longer located in __ (name of the folder). Verify the item's location and try again.

What can I do to fix/restore the files? I really need them back!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Apr 30, 2019
are they documents? if you copy to the ssd, can you open them?

Thanks for the reply mate! No, they can't be copied at all! Actually, they can be copied, but when I click "paste", regardless of the destination, other HD, USB flash, it doesn't matter, I get the same message - "The item is no longer located in __ (name of the folder). Verify the item's location and try again. ". And Yet I can physically see the item, click on it, and see it's properties. Those aren't empty files, they take up physical space, each their original different size. Any clues? Adding them to an archive didn't help either!

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
It seems like windows decided to delete them all of a sudden, try using a recovery program of some sort, easyrecovery is a really good program, its a paid one but you cant find a none paid ones.

Where these files or folders encrypted or modified from standard file system and file rights? You said you spent a bunch of time trying to get rights to the files, that may have caused issues depending on what you were doing. Were you modifying drive rights or just trying with those system files you tried to remove? You don't have backups? Seems like you went about the things wrong way, you never move things, you do a copy, or better yet, do a copy to a backup drive, then copy from the backup to the place you want them in, keeping the originals on the backup. There are quite a few posts on here where people lost files when moving them back and forth between drives.