manvswilderness

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
My max internet speeds do not exceed either my wired, or my wireless network speeds, if I'm on the 5Ghz band. However, my internet speed test using ookla over wireless vs wired shows that the wireless is reaching only 50% of what the wired is. I regularly reach 800+ Mbps on the 5Ghz band, and 144 Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band. I am running an Intel Wireless AC 9560 internal NIC. My other question is, with my router the ASUS RT-AC66W supporting speeds up to 1.75 Gbps, and my internal NIC supporting up to 1.73 Gbps, how do I reach those speeds on my internal network. The laptop in question is only 12 ft from the router with an unobstructed line of sight.

Solution
Ah... there is nothing unusual about diff wired/wireless speeds, that's perfectly normal. Wired you have the entire bandwidth available other than sharing with your housemates, but WIFI, you get interference from neighbors, appliances, signal drops as you move away from the router etc.

The speeds you quoted... those are theoretical speeds, under laboratory, best conditions, which is NEVER attained in real life. Plus what Internet speed you PAID for, that ultimately determinate your final speed.
Ah... there is nothing unusual about diff wired/wireless speeds, that's perfectly normal. Wired you have the entire bandwidth available other than sharing with your housemates, but WIFI, you get interference from neighbors, appliances, signal drops as you move away from the router etc.

The speeds you quoted... those are theoretical speeds, under laboratory, best conditions, which is NEVER attained in real life. Plus what Internet speed you PAID for, that ultimately determinate your final speed.

Solution

manvswilderness

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

Thank you for the quick response. I unerstand that the internet speed I paid for ultimately determines my speeds. However, I am currently getting 140 Mbps down from my ISP over wired, but my wireless is only getting 90 Mbps. Even on the 2.4Ghz band, my NIC has a regular speed of 144 Mbps. So I assume I should be able to achieve he full 140 Mbps down that I am getting from my ISP over wired, on wireless as well. my 5Ghz band is regularly 800+ Mbps.

P.S. - I actually pay for 230 down from my ISP, but that slow down is another issue that I am working on with Spectrum.

manvswilderness

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
Well one thing does makes no sense/your reading things wrong: PAID 230 and you are getting 800 from 5ghz? That cannot be.

Tried to move closer to the router and see if any diff?
No, no, no. I understand your confusion, the 800 is internal network speed, the 230 is internet speed from spectrum. If my internal network speed on 5Ghz is regularly 800+ Mbps, and I am getting 230 Mbps from my ISP, why would I be getting only 50% of that when on wireless? This is what I am trying to figure out.