[SOLVED] Please help with best way to proceed for this task.

Apr 10, 2021
my grandma has alzhiemers im here taking care of her n me n my mom thought it be cool to get the photos and make a presentation for her family reunions ect while she still remembers who we are i was told to get an external hdd but I don't know what that is ?

I'm trying to connect the hard drives from the desktop to my laptop. Can any one help explain it in simple terms, and one that won't cost a lot please. We would really like to do this for my grandma. I apreciate u all for takking the time to help and read this request ty again.

Solution
Come back as a SATA HDD. You should be able to plug this in to any hard drive dock, or you could purchase an "open" SATA to USB adapter, but it will have to be powered.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The single easiest thing I can think of doing, without having to get into telling you how to share folders and all...

Google will give you 15GB of free space with an email addy/acct.

Get into the computer you have the photos you want, sign in to that account and then drop photos on Google Drive or Google Photos (etc) then log in to the same account from your laptop and upload them, delete if you have more than the above space and refill (that would be a lot of photos).

Also, they make digital picture frames that you can load pics in and it just scrolls randomly through them. Might be easier....USB stick to TV based on hardware...

GL

Apr 10, 2021
i don know how to get into it the desktop wont connect the fans kick on thats it n they just run i can command the disc drives by pressing the button but thats it no vid sound nothin i can pull the harddrives i just wouldn begin to know where to look as to conectnig them to me laptop
any suggestions n i actually have 2 one drives 1 google 1 mir so i know exactly what ur talkin bout on that

Apr 10, 2021
its just the accessing the files to back it up is got me stuck desktop has no display im not totally helpless lol but if u could pooint me in th right direction to atle ast googling linking the hard drives to my laptop i would greatly appreciate it

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In this case you could try a dock, or adapter to connect to USB. According to the age and type of drive as to what that could entail.
The issue you may run into, if this is the OS disk, is permission to view, perhaps even in a format not recognized.

Apr 10, 2021
In this case you could try a dock, or adapter to connect to USB. According to the age and type of drive as to what that could entail.
The issue you may run into, if this is the OS disk, is permission to view, perhaps even in a format not recognized.
if i were to type or send a pic of the drive could u possibly tell me if the process is gonna drive me to drink lol i really do apreciate the help i hope im not asking to much i just really dont wanna screw up n lose pictures and we cant afford to take em in to be extracted mom already had that priced like i said i got some common sense but i know lil bout tech compatability hell even if u see it if u could just letme know if its compatable or not

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It might be more helpful to the forum at large if you know a specific model of or details about the computer you are trying to salvage these pics from, it's OS, and the OS of the laptop you are attempting to move them to.

edit- oh and pics never hurt.

As an aside, be gentle with that drive. Surely it's a HDD and bumping it hard can kill it.

Apr 10, 2021
n i am being extremly gentle i know their fragile even static elect will kill em it the info above thisi dont know what to do with n i have a intel hp 15 laptop with windos 10 n 64n 32 bit drives

TRENDING THREADS