Question Please help with CPU upgrade

Oct 13, 2019
I have had a look for some help on this site, but it's a massive site full of so much info I got lost!!
Here's my quiery:I currently have a Gigabyte ga b75m - d3h motherboard and a 2310 cpu with 8gb RAM and a gtx 1050 gpu. I would like to upgrade the CPU to a (much) newer cpu, but have absolutely no idea of where I stand or which one to get, or if any newer ones are even available to fit my motherboard. It's quite a lot beyond me.
I play some pretty heavy games like BF1, BF5, Assassins Creed series and hope to get the new Call Of Duty upon release. They all lag and carry on pretty bad at times, and I am hoping that if I can get a new cpu and some more ram it might help with my issues. It's not my internet, I have a great connection with no ping over about 35-40.
Please help me, you pc gurus!
My budget for cpu would be around the $200-250Au (roughly), and I think I can get an 8gb ram stick for around $40Au, bringing me up to 16gb.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and gals!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Unfortunately it is a board that only supports 2nd and 3rd Gen Intel. So if you currently have an i5 2310, the maximum you could upgrade to would be an i7-3770 / 3770K. You can see the full support list here: CPU Support List

An additional 8GB RAM would be beneficial for newer games as they can often exceeed 8GB, however if you add to your existing RAM there is no guarantee they will play nicely together (as you are mixing RAM modules).

Having said that, unfortunately the only way to identify if it will be of benefit would be to monitor your current CPU, GPU, RAM, DISK usage and see which is the component that is holding you back, as the 1050 is also an entry level GPU. Ultimately, it is an aged platform, so any upgrade would likely still start seeing it's age showing in modern games. So it depend on what exactly is currently holding you back, you can monitor this using MSI Afterburner or HWInfo for example.

Oct 13, 2019
Thanks for the reply.
Judging by the price of more recent mobo cpu combos, pc gaming in 2019 is for the rich and glamorous. Not to mention it would be pretty much outdated next yr also.
Well, sounds like I will be sticking with console gaming at this stage and for quite some time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Actually no. Just the opposite, especially with Amd based Ryzen. Back 7 years ago, I built one of my 2 pc's from new parts. Cost $1700 overall for a i5-3570k platform. Now, you can get a top line pc that costs less than $1000 that far exceeds the 3570k abilities in every direction.

Proportionately, things are cheaper now for really decent stuff. My 128Gb ssd was $100+, now anything that size is closer to $20. It'd be like a few years ago the PS4 was $400, today it's less than $200 but you could get a PS5 for $300

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I completely agree with above.

In reality, the reason why so many of us on here recommend moving to New platform is precisely because the cost has dropped.

The surge of new generations and competition from AMD has pushed prices further down. And now you can pick up a brand new platform with vast improvements for only small price increase than simply upgrading the current platform.

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Sadly it's a motherboard that supports only old Intel CPUs (Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge). So if you want a really good upgrade, you will need to change everything.

With a $200~250 budget I would recommend you to buy a Ryzen 1600, a B350 motherboard and 2x8GB DDR4. But that recommendation will exceed this budget depending what country you live.

So If you want to save a lot of money and postpone your upgrade, you can buy a Intel Core i7 3770 and more DDR3 RAM. Remember: it's important to have paired memory modules since Dual Channel, that is a must have for gaming today, need it.

That change would already give to you a massive boost on modern games like these that you have listed. Obviously Ryzen 1600 would be better, but Core i7 3770 will give you 60~100% of gain on some of these modern games easily.

Actually no. Just the opposite, especially with Amd based Ryzen. Back 7 years ago, I built one of my 2 pc's from new parts. Cost $1700 overall for a i5-3570k platform. Now, you can get a top line pc that costs less than $1000 that far exceeds the 3570k abilities in every direction.

Proportionately, things are cheaper now for really decent stuff. My 128Gb ssd was $100+, now anything that size is closer to $20. It'd be like a few years ago the PS4 was $400, today it's less than $200 but you could get a PS5 for $300

You're right. I remeber that I bought my old 2500k for $250 or something one year after the launch (Brazil here, things are overpriced anyway). I bought a Ryzen 1600 for $89 last month, almost two years after the launch. GPU back in the time you would need more than 250$ to reach 60FPS@1080p (not in every game, GTX260 if I'm remembering well). Now we can have it for 120$ (every game basically).

Things a lot better now for PC Gaming.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your imput!
I'd be happy to keep my current gpu for a while, and just lower graphic settings in game as it still looks a lot better than my Xbox one! It sounds like a new motherboard, cpu and ddr4 ram is on the menu, somewhere in the future. I'm by no means a pro gamer, requiring a $3k system or anything like that. I just don't want a boggy computer that can handle some decent games.
If I was to do the motherboard, cpu and ram I'd be lucky to extend it out to $500 -600 Aussie dollars.

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your imput!
I'd be happy to keep my current gpu for a while, and just lower graphic settings in game as it still looks a lot better than my Xbox one! It sounds like a new motherboard, cpu and ddr4 ram is on the menu, somewhere in the future. I'm by no means a pro gamer, requiring a $3k system or anything like that. I just don't want a boggy computer that can handle some decent games.
If I was to do the motherboard, cpu and ram I'd be lucky to extend it out to $500 -600 Aussie dollars.

Save your money today and get a used Core i7 3770. Look for youtube comparison between i7 x i3. You will have much stable frames a lot more too. It will extend for a lot of time the lifetime of your rig.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The best options for a cpu upgrade are i7-3770K, i7-3770 and Xeon E3-1270v2, or E3-1230v2 etc. They'll all roughly perform the same, but a K or higher value Xeon v2 will have higher clock speeds. Much depends on price.

Just don't forget to upgrade to the last produced bios and any and all motherboard chipset drivers. You won't need to mess with windows for a cpu change.

TRENDING THREADS