Question Please help with fraud quick with Second hand ram

Nov 3, 2020
I had old two 4gb Ram DDR3 from from not working CPU. I know that cpu had some thermal trip error that's why it stopped working
But There was nothing wrong with those two RAM that I am very much sure.
Now I sold it to a person.
He did some checking in his old HP computer.
Some kind of RAM counting was happening
And it was showing in the BIOS. Also My rams were indeed getting detected properly.
But his computer were not booting up. Giving some windows crash after loading screen. Maybe some OS issue.
Still he bought the ram from me saying it seems working.
Now one day later he says memory cores are damaged that why system wasn't booting.
I want to ask is that real thing ?
or he is just messing with me so that I would give him ram for free because he told me its working?
If I give him refund, and is there any possibility that he may have done some kind of locking with ram for temporary shutdown?
So that it won't work with my computer either?

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
I mean, from my knowledge it is a thing, i dunno about the "bad ram cores" but but i would request for example memtest86 photo, where it says it does. But it would be good if you had some proof that it worked ok before so you wouldnt had any reason to think it was broken.

Nov 3, 2020
okk I will just take the whole thing from him and I will throw it in scrap. These Second hand shop buyers are never trustworthy.
But before I do I will also take a boot media of linux and I will start it in live mode to see if RAM is getting detected. I still strongly believe that his OS was faulty. Or maybe he kept it faulty to fool people selling second hand stuff at low price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
And also if you sold it, like hand to hand, you dont have to do anything, there aint no warranties on second hand sale without recepit(at least where i live) :D So, try that linux live or windows to go on usb.

Nov 3, 2020
What is probability of getting both memory core damaged?
One is acceptable.
But Both! How?
Is possible to get both memory damaged at the same time?
I didn't even tweak a single setting in bios.
Is it possible that faulty cpu or motherboard to damage the ram core?

Morterio

Great
Dec 4, 2020
Anything is possible, but i just think that the buyer changed his mind, i know that ram can get damaged but it is unlikely that both at the same time.

Nevertheless if you wanna solve it, try the windows to go and see if it boots with the ram, thats all.
Maybe he tried it to oc it and put too much voltage, who knows, do a memtest and see :)

Nov 3, 2020
Before you take anything back, let the buyer run memtest on the modules and send you screen shots of errors. Otherwise the ram is fine and he's got something else going on.
The thing he did in BIOS was probably memtest and it shown working.
Anyway I took it back and him refund.
Now it is just sitting there in dirt because, I don't have old system to test it on.