[SOLVED] Please help with funky io shield

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Hello! I am working on recasing an old office pc and doing some other upgrades to make it gaming ready. Aside from needing a few adapters I don't see any major problems so far, except this io shield. It is standard dimensions, but i could not for the life of me get it to snap in to the case. I ended up bending the tabs back and setting it in only to discover there is no way to bend them to the original position once it is in the case. Not only that, but the io shield doesn't even fit properly from what I can tell. Am I screwed?
View: https://vimeo.com/341908400

Solution
Yep, that's me.
If the IO shield pretty much fits, but won't stay in by friction fit, you may try taping the shield in place temporarily until you get the board installed and screwed down. Then peel the tape away so it doesn't dry out from heat and fall into the board. (Might be slightly conductive)
Yes, at that point the board should hold the shield in place. But verify that it does indeed do that.

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Proprietary PCs sometimes use proprietary components. For one thing, there shouldn't be tabs on that part of the shield. Should be just a friction fit.
Lol I think your the one answering my other thread also. If it is loose like it is but it does fit, will the mobo hold it in place?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, that's me.
If the IO shield pretty much fits, but won't stay in by friction fit, you may try taping the shield in place temporarily until you get the board installed and screwed down. Then peel the tape away so it doesn't dry out from heat and fall into the board. (Might be slightly conductive)
Yes, at that point the board should hold the shield in place. But verify that it does indeed do that.

Solution