Question Please help with my crazy new PC

Jul 30, 2020
Sorry to beg for help, but I'm having an issue with a brand new Dell PC that I'd love to pick your more knowledgeable brains about.

Sometimes the PC virtually stops working: the monitors suddenly go blank and into power saving mode, the fans go into overdrive, and I have to turn the PC off to use it again. However, if I'm on a call via Microsoft Teams or anything, I can continue with that even while the computer is doing all of this (I just can't see the screen or do anything except continue to talk/listen).

My old computer used to do this too, which is one of the reasons I replaced it. I thought maybe it was old and couldn't handle the video calls, as that was always when it seemed to shut down. This one shuts down randomly though - not often, but enough to be a concern.

It shouldn't be a power saving issue, as monitors are set to never go into power saving mode. It may be worth mentioning that the new PC will also pause every few hours, just for a few seconds, when it starts humming more loudly and I can't do anything on it. Then it goes back to normal. Probably unrelated, but not sure why it does that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

@jtblah
Do you know if the PC has a video card or is it using onboard video?

I ask because it kind of sounds like the video card is crashing. I also wonder if all the fans go into overdrive or is just the video card fans.

Hopefully this is just due to an old driver. I would look for an update from the manufacture or from Dell.

Brand new computer spend a lot of time doing updates. I wonder if that is what is causing the pausing.

Jul 30, 2020
Many thanks for your reply.

The graphics card is NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 6GB GDDR6.

I've checked for updates, though it looks like everything is fully updated.

I wonder if I should get back in touch with Dell while the PC is still in warranty? Thanks again.

Many thanks for your reply.

The graphics card is NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 6GB GDDR6.

I've checked for updates, though it looks like everything is fully updated.

I wonder if I should get back in touch with Dell while the PC is still in warranty? Thanks again.

Since you do have a video card, it seems to fit that what is happening is the video card is crashing and not the entire system. I think it would be worth checking with Dell support about any suggestions and they may have you try a couple things, but end the end the video card may have to be replaced.

Jul 30, 2020
Since you do have a video card, it seems to fit that what is happening is the video card is crashing and not the entire system. I think it would be worth checking with Dell support about any suggestions and they may have you try a couple things, but end the end the video card may have to be replaced.

Thanks so much. I'm very much a novice on these things and really appreciate your help. I'll try contacting Dell.

TRENDING THREADS