[SOLVED] Please help with new build

drezil03

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2015
Hello,

I received a gigabyte oc12g rtx 3080TI as a present from my wife and have about $1500 to make the rest of the build with. I do not need any peripherals or monitors but will buy an OS. I haven't built a pc in quite some time and the amount of options are a bit overwhelming. I use it mostly for gaming. I usually play games such as Escape from tarkov, league of legends, and the occasional mmo. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance!!!

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
I use it mostly for gaming.
for just gaming i would recommend the Intel Core i5-12600K.
if you're up to any other intensive software usage, the i7-12700K.

for motherboard, that depends on what you plan to do with it.
if you plan on some overclocking and are concerned about maximizing performance i would suggest a Z690.
if you're just leaving everything at stock and not really concerned with performance tweaks the lower end B660 boards should be fine.

memory, it's really up to how your budget plays out.
DDR5 can offer amazing speeds and will be a bit more future-friendly but is still currently quite a bit more expensive.
DDR4 is still very viable and is fine for any type of current usage.
this decision will really have an...
I use it mostly for gaming.

if you plan on some overclocking and are concerned about maximizing performance i would suggest a Z690.
if you're just leaving everything at stock and not really concerned with performance tweaks the lower end B660 boards should be fine.

DDR5 can offer amazing speeds and will be a bit more future-friendly but is still currently quite a bit more expensive.
this decision will really have an impact the motherboard model you choose.

case, i would recommend the be quiet! Silent Base 802.
has the best options i've seen in quite some time.

what type of cooling do you plan on?
air cooler, AIO liquid cooling, custom liquid loops?

power supply, there has been some good deals throughout this year.
the Corsair RMx series and the Super Flower Leadex III Gold series have both been at rather cheap prices compared to other similar tiered models.
maybe some help with choosing:

Reactions: ~cw
Solution
I received a gigabyte oc12g rtx 3080TI as a present from my wife and have about $1500 to make the rest of the build with. I do not need any peripherals or monitors but will buy an OS. I haven't built a pc in quite some time and the amount of options are a bit overwhelming. I use it mostly for gaming. I usually play games such as Escape from tarkov, league of legends, and the occasional mmo. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance!!!
You mention that you are not looking for a monitor, but what resolution/refresh rate is your current monitor? I ask, because a 3080 Ti would arguably be rather overkill for a lower resolution like 1080p, and a screen with a 60Hz refresh rate won't update the image more than 60 times per second, making super-high frame rates at a resolution like that a bit of a waste, especially for games that are less graphically-demanding. If you are running something like a 1080p monitor, it might be worth considering a monitor upgrade, as there are some relatively decent 1440p, 144Hz screens available for around the $300 price range (in the US), which you may be able to work into your budget while still getting capable hardware.

And of course, if you are on a lower resolution screen, a 3080 Ti is not going to be pushed very hard, so performance will be almost entirely dictated by other components in the system, like the CPU (and to a lesser extent RAM). On the other hand, if your monitor only refreshes at 60Hz, then CPU and RAM performance might not be quite as important, as even lower mid-range hardware should typically push way more frames than the monitor can display. On that note, what sort of other hardware is in the system that you are coming from?

drezil03

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2015

this decision will really have an impact the motherboard model you choose.

case, i would recommend the be quiet! Silent Base 802.
has the best options i've seen in quite some time.

what type of cooling do you plan on?

power supply, there has been some good deals throughout this year.
the Corsair RMx series and the Super Flower Leadex III Gold series have both been at rather cheap prices compared to other similar tiered models.
maybe some help with choosing:

So this is kinda of what I had in mind

3080TI
Intel I7 - 12700
Z690 Aorus Master LFA 1700
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
seasonic FOCUS plus gold 80+ Gold
Samsung 970 Evo plus 1 TB m.2
Samsung 970 Evo plus 2 TB m.2
2x 16gm corsair vengence ddr5

The cooling system I am not sure what to do. I see alot of people talking about water cooling is the best way to go, but I have never set one up and it seems to be complicated or maybe im over thinking it. Thank you for the detailed answer.

drezil03

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2015
You mention that you are not looking for a monitor, but what resolution/refresh rate is your current monitor? I ask, because a 3080 Ti would arguably be rather overkill for a lower resolution like 1080p, and a screen with a 60Hz refresh rate won't update the image more than 60 times per second, making super-high frame rates at a resolution like that a bit of a waste, especially for games that are less graphically-demanding. If you are running something like a 1080p monitor, it might be worth considering a monitor upgrade, as there are some relatively decent 1440p, 144Hz screens available for around the $300 price range (in the US), which you may be able to work into your budget while still getting capable hardware.

And of course, if you are on a lower resolution screen, a 3080 Ti is not going to be pushed very hard, so performance will be almost entirely dictated by other components in the system, like the CPU (and to a lesser extent RAM). On the other hand, if your monitor only refreshes at 60Hz, then CPU and RAM performance might not be quite as important, as even lower mid-range hardware should typically push way more frames than the monitor can display. On that note, what sort of other hardware is in the system that you are coming from?

Hello,

I planned to keep using my current monitor which is an asus 144 hz vg248 which says its 1920x1080. So i would be able to upgrade to 1440 in the near future.

Thanks for the help

This psu down below is manufactured for Phanteks by Seasonic.

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-PH-P850G-80PLUS-Modular-Certified/dp/B09BDWPJJ6/
Phanteks AMP 850W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply $128.99

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails
ASUS Prime Z690-A LGA 1700 Intel 12th ATX Motherboard- 16+1 DrMOS PCIe 5.0 DDR5 4x M.2 Intel 2.5 Gb LAN USB 3.2 Gen 2 Front Panel Type-C Thunderbolt 4 Aura Sync RGB Lighting and Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x16GB) 288-Pin DDR5 SDRAM DDR5 52 $520.98 Combo Savings: $50.00

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-12700F-2-1GHz-6xxChipset-BX8071512700F/dp/B09NPJDPVG/
Intel Core i7-12700F $312.96

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler $64.99

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ak620-review

TRENDING THREADS