Please help with 'Threshold' setting for Fan RPM in Asus Fan Xpert 3

happyguy82

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2012
Hello,

Sorry for having to ask again, but I've spent some time playing around with these RPM Threshold settings in Fan Xpert 3 but am unable to figure out what they do. There isn't a product manual that explains them.

Could someone who knows please shed some light on the purpose of these sliders? I have tried setting them below and above the fan's current RPM and nothing seems to happen.

image.php

Thank you in advance once again. I would really appreciate some help with this.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure that's a monitor, and tells you when the fans go below that, kind of like a warning. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. From what I can tell, the reason the minimum is 200 is because most fans don't operate below 250-300 rpm.

I don't use that myself. Is there something in particular you're looking to do with fan xpert? I have it myself.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
No, you can use the tuner to show what the minimum running RPM is for each fan through fan xpert. It's what the blue zone is at the bottom of each graph.

I'm thinking what those sliders are, is the fan is attempting to apply voltage to get to a certain RPM, and it's not responding so it throws up a warning that a fan is malfunctioning whereas it's supposed to be running at a specified RPM. So, it's a failure to function warning.

happyguy82

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2012

Thank you sir!

I've just built the system and am not familiar with this AI Suite thing. It worries me that if I set the fan threshold to 800rpm and it spins at 500 rpm, no alarm or anything is triggered thus I can't figure out its purpose nor whether I'm missing something.

I've tried the same with the CPU temp threshold. When I adjust that to a lower level than the current CPU temp, the CPU temp figure on the main screen lights up in red but once again no alarm or changes in fan speeds. This means that if the application window is closed then I would have no way of knowing there's a thermal issue.

As to your question, I guess I would like a set-up where the correct fans respond to temperatures and alerts sound if things get hot. Right now I am unable to achieve either of them.

Am I missing something?

Btw, I'm really grateful for your response as there seems to be no info out there on any of these.

The lower threshold setting is there so that the fan will not try to run at a lower rpm that it is capable of. If you lower the voltage to the fan sufficiently, it will not start or spin at all.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
Yeah, just use the tuner to find the lower threshold of your fans. It will spin them up to max and then attempt to find the lowest running speed of every fan in the system. That will report in the graph and be highlighted with a blue zone for each fan header on the motherboard. It wont let the fan run lower than that threshold.

Click on each fan graph and down to the right there is a little menu button, click it and select up to three things you want the fan to base it's speeds on. The thing will base the fan curve on the hottest of the three.

You'll need temperature monitoring software that can warn you if the temps get too high otherwise. I don't think fan xpert does that, then again I didn't look for that specifically. I want to say AI Suite can do that though.

happyguy82

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2012

Hello,

Big thanks to both of you, I really appreciate it.

Now I've gone away and played around and have come back with more unanswered questions unfortunately.

1) OK I can see the 'menu icon on the bottom right' when I select the casing fans but this doesn't appear for the CPU fan (which is my water loop's radiator fan). So why can't I get this fan to respond to high temps?

2) I left the CPU Temperature threshold slider at 75 degrees celcius. I then started a video conversion with Handbrake and the CPU temp went up to 50 deg. The casing fans started to spin. Why did it do so if the CPU temp is still below the threshold?

3) I did use Fan Tuner on all fans and it did identify the lowest RPM. Should I adjust the fan threshold sliders to match these or just leave them at the default '200'?

Thank you so much once again guys!!

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
The CPU fan responds only to CPU temps, it's the way that particular system works. It can also depend on your cooler. It's the dedicated fan setting solely for the CPU since it's the most important piece. You can adjust it's curve. You may want to reduce spinup and slowdown times, as this can cause wonky behavior. Keep a little so the fan clutch isn't going nuts, and has time to speed up or slow down.

The fan curves will identify the minimum running speeds and keep it above.

happyguy82

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2012

Ahh yes now I understand why the fan spins up despite being under the 'Threshold' setting. It's because of the points set on the graph.

So then what's the purpose of the CPU Threshold temperature slider setting at the bottom?

btw we both have the same CPU :)

Thank again.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
Again I think that may very well be a failure to function slider. You can use "auto stop" under whatever that on off switch is on the bottom left. It's like super quiet or extra quiet mode. This makes the fan turn off automatically when it hits the minimum running rpm setting in the right. This is where you see the curve dip vertically to zero.

Running it without auto fan stop (you have to turn extreme quiet on to toggle the option) will allow you to run the fans curve Inside the blue area but doesn't attempt to run the fan below the minimum rpm it's got set. You'll see on the right side of each graph there's % tiers with rpm at each tier, and the 10 and 20 both should have a similar number and very close to the 30% depending on your fan if you have auto stop and quiet mode off. If you turn quiet running mode on you'll see it can show zeros in the first two spots. Auto stop causes a vertical line at the minimum rpm it can run at, whereas otherwise it's still a curve.

happyguy82

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2012

Thanks very much for the clarification on the fan RPM profiles against the graphs.

Just a quick question mate, what did you mean by "failure to function slider"? Thanks.

happyguy82

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2012

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS