[SOLVED] Please help with with my strange dying pc parts?

john-8000

Commendable
Feb 6, 2019
CPU: Core i7-10700F
MOBO: Gygabyte B460 HD3 ATX - died 4 times during warranty period.
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB RAM ddr4-3200 cl16
HDD: WD blue 2TB
GPU: GTX 1660 6Gb - killed by PSU twice, the third time the gpu was replaced with RTX 3060 12GB - 1000$ on my pocket . The GTX are no longer available.
PSU: EVGA 600W BR - Died 3 times for 1 year, replaced by RMA
What is the problem , it is not my personal pc , but working pc and I have to fix it up, I am not a technical support , I am a SW developer.

The problems I have notice so far are,after pc parts replacing problems are the same :
When doing my projects on working pc(the specs of pc are listed above) , which are heavy based on calculaton, the screen goes blank , then the screen goes black, pc freezes then pc reboot itself.
Very Very slow boot up , I mean it takes 5 min to boot up. It boots slower then my older pc which is 10 years old. Sometimes CPU fan doesnt spin, I have replace it 5 times for 1 year period.
Freezing when loading Visual Studio Enterprise. Freezing when compiling software. I have tried compiling on my old personal desktop pc and I havent freezing problem.
Additional funs which are on pc case doesnt spin from time to time - replaced them 4 times in a year.

The working pc is no longer under warranty.

Last edited:
Solution
GPU: GTX 1660 6Gb - killed by PSU twice, the third time the gpu was replaced with RTX 3060 12GB - 1000$ on my pocket . The GTX are no longer available.
What is the problem , it is not my personal pc , but working pc and I have to fix it up, I am not a technical support , I am a SW developer.

The problems I have notice so far are,after pc parts replacing problems are the same :
When doing my projects on working pc(the specs of pc are listed above) , which are heavy based on calculaton, the screen...

When doing my projects on working pc(the specs of pc are listed above) , which are heavy based on calculaton, the screen goes blank , then the screen goes black, pc freezes then pc reboot itself.
Very Very slow boot up , I mean it takes 5 min to boot up. It boots slower then my older pc which is 10 years old. Sometimes CPU fan doesnt spin, I have replace it 5 times for 1 year period.
Freezing when loading Visual Studio Enterprise. Freezing when compiling software. I have tried compiling on my old personal desktop pc and I havent freezing problem.
Additional funs which are on pc case doesnt spin from time to time - replaced them 4 times in a year.

The working pc is no longer under warranty.

The parts all failing like that suggests some external factor - the specs look ok (that power supply is a bit on the low end for those components, I'd recommend replacing it with something better, toms do a good guide on this: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-psus,4229.html)...

I wonder if the electrical supply has problems - voltage spikes from the mains can easily kill components. Plugging your machine into a surge protector might help, even better invest in a UPS as that will act as a buffer between the machine and mains if that is the issue (note if this fixes the problems, you need to get an electrician to look at your supply).

I gather you put this machine together from new, with a clean install of Windows 10? Some of the problems you describe (very slow start up for example) can be caused by driver conflicts and so on which can occur when upgrading hardware without a fresh install.

In terms of performance, running Win 10 from a HDD isn't ideal - that will really hold the machine back given the high performance of all the other parts. I would suggest investing in a new NVME ssd drive to run windows and your software from, you can then use the HDD as a secondary storage drive for large files.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"PSU: EVGA 600W BR - Died 3 times for 1 year, replaced by RMA "

My thought is that the PSU is not "killing things".

I think 600 watts is under powered for your system.

FYI:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Apply two or three of the calculators to your system build.

If any component lists a range of wattage values then use the high end wattage.

What wattage totals do you get?

Before I continue.. i7-1700F is a solid performer (you didn't listed what cooler you have), however whole system doesn't make some good impression performance wise (i.e. no SSD??).

Anyway, first thing I would do is, buy a better PSU (600W is enough for what you have). I know 80+ ratings don't tell that much, but if PSU can't be rated better as bronze, then I get a picture -it's crap. Next, if budget allows, get some UPS (in case you have inconsistencies in power line).

Your patience is admirable.
When the motherboard failed, did the replacement fix the problem, at least for a while?
How did you determine that the motherboard was what failed?

When the psu failed, did the replacement fix the problem for a while?

Your specs are good with the exception of using a HDD.
A simple samsung ssd replacement would be about $200 and will make everything quicker.
Migration is trivial using the ssd migration app:

Is the ram all from the same kit?

First,check out your ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
Delays in booting are sometimes caused by the motherboard trying to find a ram setting that works.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

You may be having an issue with your wall power.
Power surges and dips can cause problems.
A UPS with only 5 minutes of run time can condition power and let you ride through power spikes.

EVGA makes some good units and some not so good.
BR is in the not so good category.
PSU problems are very difficult to identify.
I think I would make the next replacement a high quality seasonic in the 550-650w range with a 7 or 10 year warranty.

Boot times will be much longer using a HDD.
If you implement fast boot in the bios, your time to load windows will be better.
Instead of loading components individually, fast boot loads a simple file of the last successful boot.

Better yet, use sleep to ram. Monitor and pc enter a very low power state.
sleep/wake should be only a handful of seconds.

Reactions: Why_Me and Krotow

john-8000

Commendable
Feb 6, 2019
Thanks for the help.
I used the services of electrical company to check the electrical installation . They said that everything is OK.
When my pc part died one after another I go to the shop service and the pc technicians told me what was the problem.
One of pc technicial offer me to replace the PSU EVGA 600w BR with EVGA 1000W p2 titanium, the company paid that replacement. The company I am working for refund me for the RTX 3060.
The same pc technician after few days tried to figure out what was wrong with my pc config, suggested that there was a damage on cpu(his theory was that psu damaged the cpu ...), I didnt believe him, so he give me my pc with another cpu for few days to try it- the temporary replacement of cpu is core i5-10600k . The systems works fine no more freezes , no more black screens, no more reboots on it own. The pc was working perfectly fine. I return the core-i5 10600k and bought a new one core i7-10700F. Then the company I am working for refund me for the replacement.

Thanks for the advices and help.