Question Please help Xonar Essence STX ii 7.1

Mar 26, 2019
I have a new system
Windows 10 64 bit professional
EVGA RTX 2080 graphics card

my problem is with my Asus Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 audiocard

I get sound out of the front left and right speakers and the back panel headphones but nothing on the daughterboard works (subwoofer, center speaker and side speakers), and the front panel headphones do not work. I have tried unpluging the molex and switching it after installing the drivers. I have tried switching the daughterboard to another pci slot. I have checked all connections, and i have tried the ubi xonar drivers, and still cant get my other speakers (5.1 system that worked on my old computer with xonar dsx) to work. Please help!!!! Oh and i also uninstalled the onboard realtek sound. I am thinking maybe my daughterboard is bad? I cant think of anything else to try and really dont want to have to send back the soundcard and have no sound on my pc

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019
well my logitech z906 5.1 speakers can use a digital coaxial input and the main card for the essence has an input for that too so i might have to settle with that though i bet the audio quality is not as good as the duaghter board

Mar 26, 2019
should my daughterboard be showing up on the device manager? cuz its not there only the essence speakers; and the essence s/pdif ; line in ; microphone ;stereo mix ;and wave

Mar 26, 2019
connected3 the s/pdif cable to my speakers and am only getting the front left and right speakers to work in 5.1 audio setting... very odd since this only uses one cable, and i know my speakers are working because i used them on my old computer with a xonar dsx card any help please :)

Mar 26, 2019
connected3 the s/pdif cable to my speakers and am only getting the front left and right speakers to work in 5.1 audio setting... very odd since this only uses one cable, and i know my speakers are working because i used them on my old computer with a xonar dsx card any help please :)

Not sure what happened but fooling with the spdf cable and got my daughterboard speakers working... still only getting front left and right speakers out of the spdif but wasnt plannning on using that anyhow

YAY!!!

Not sure what happened but fooling with the spdf cable and got my daughterboard speakers working... still only getting front left and right speakers out of the spdif but wasnt plannning on using that anyhow

YAY!!!

Loose connection maybe? ASUS cards have a bit of a history with their connectors being a bit finicky.

As for SPDIF, it is limited to Stereo sound unless using Dolby or DTS formats. I believe the STX can convert 5.1 audio to Dolby via Dolby Digital Live, which will allow audio not already encoded in Dolby/DTS to be output as 5.1 (providing you have a decoder at the other end).