Please help XP pro will not nboot after I installed IE7

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
After installing IE7 on my pc I restarted and now I cant get XP to boot correctly. The wallpaper loads but thats as far as it goes and then I get an error message Explorer.exe not found, reinstalling the program may fix the problem or something like that. Is there any way I can do a system restore if I cant get Xp to load? It wont even load in safe mode? Please help I really dont want to reinstall XP again I just did a fresh install on this computer a few weeks ago. There isnt anything to important on it but I just would rather not have to start all over again I finally got it setup how I like it.
thanks

Kannibal25

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2005
Have you tried booting into recovery console and running a repair?

I'm not sure if the console allows you to run a system file check, but if all that fails, you should be able to boot off the xp cd and perform a repair install (shouldn't hurt installed programs)

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I cant get into safe mode it doesnt get that far, I treid to boot offf the XP disk and do a repair and it still wont start up? How do I do the repair install?
Thanks
Frank

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
If you can get a virtual windows cd with BartPE or something, you can take the explorer.exe that's found in c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ and copy it to c:\windows\ also if you can just boot and have the wallpaper, you might be able to press ctrl+alt delete and then go to file > new task (run...) and then browse and there copy paste the explorer.exe to where it's supposed to be. Even with the windows xp cd you can boot and via the recovery console you can copy the said file. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
for repairing you have to boot off your xp cd and choose the repair the existing o/s option

when you get to your wallpaper though, see if you can get to ctrl+alt+del and use taks manager as mentioned to launch a run box from the new task

then type appwiz.cpl
that will take you to add/remove programs, see if it let's you uninstall ie7, probably will work a lil better in safe mode

another alternate option is to uninstall ie7 from the recovery console
there should be a hidden folder in windows called ie7, in there look for a spuninst folder, and then there should be an executable which will roll the install back from recovery console

i'm not a 100% sure on that, i don't have a machine with ie7 handy right now, but it's another way of doing it

kiyama

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Something I did that looks like it worked was press F8 when the BIOS starts, and I went to the option of "The last successful boot" or something of the sort and it looks like it worked. Try it out.. should at least get you into Windows and you can uinstall or fix whatever you need then.

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I am also wondering why the hell would IE7 mess up the explorer.exe file found in C:\windows but oh well I think it's because it comes from MS :p. I hope you can get it up and running ASAP.

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks guys i got it working. I treid the appwiz.cpl and uninstall IE7 ad it worked. I donno why it screwed everything up but I think ill stick to Opera9 at lease it doesnt leave my computer not working when I installed it, and from what ive seen of IE7 on my other computer its nothing spectacular, nothing Firefox and Opera havent already done. Thanks a bunch guys you were a real help.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
good stuff, the reason why this happend is because windows now highly integrates ie into the shell and it's part of the o/s pretty much, so you think you're only dealing with ie, but it also effects the shell, such as your blank desktop issue...gotta b cautious