PLEASE HELP!

GMCGEE

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hello,
I need to transfer files from an old computer which happens to be windows 98, to a computer which has windows XP. The USB port isn't working, nor does the disc drives. My only option is to use a serial cable but I don't know how to go about doing this...PLEASE HELP!

firo420

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
well the only option that you have is to physically take the harddrive out of the win 98 machine and physically connect it to the new machine internally using the parrallel cables thats are currently on it. You will hafta convert the files into NTFS unless you xp is in fat 32 becuase win98 only supports fat32 file system which is incompatible with ntfs

RealBeast

Titan

No, I'm not forgetting anything. I've done it many times between Win 98 and XP right when I started switching machines over to XP. You can do it between any two Windows system from Win 95 to Win 8, although Win 2000 is somewhat problematic.

RealBeast

Titan
You will hafta convert the files into NTFS unless you xp is in fat 32 becuase win98 only supports fat32 file system which is incompatible with ntfs .http://www.bosin.info/g.gif
I don't understand why transferring files from a Win98 computer with a FAT32 drive to a different computer using NTFS has anything to do with Win98 not mounting NTFS drives.

You can transfer data from one machine to another between Macs, Linux, etc. Many NAS devices on Windows networks use ext3, which while not readable on the attached MS PC can and does easily transfer files back and forth.