Please Help!

My wife has an IBM ThinkPad with Win. 95 installed.
Over the week-end, our grandson attempted to
install some games on her computer.
When I found out, I removed as much of
the program that he installed, as I could find.

Since then, whenever she attempts to open
her favorite programs, she gets the following
error message: COMDLG32.DLL "File cannot start.
Check the file to determine the problem".

I downloaded a ComDL32.DLL file on my PC and
attempted to install it, same error message pops up.
I attempted to re-install her favorite program, same
message.
Tried to install a registry fixer, same thing happens.

We do not have the original Win.95 disks.

Please, can anyone give me some simplistic advice.

Thank You Much,
Larry from Green Bay

Polish Prince (Szynka) wrote:
> My wife has an IBM ThinkPad with Win. 95 installed.
> Over the week-end, our grandson attempted to
> install some games on her computer.
> When I found out, I removed as much of
> the program that he installed, as I could find.
>
> Since then, whenever she attempts to open
> her favorite programs, she gets the following
> error message: COMDLG32.DLL "File cannot start.
> Check the file to determine the problem".
>
> I downloaded a ComDL32.DLL file on my PC and
> attempted to install it, same error message pops up.
> I attempted to re-install her favorite program, same
> message.
> Tried to install a registry fixer, same thing happens.
>
> We do not have the original Win.95 disks.
>
> Please, can anyone give me some simplistic advice.
>
> Thank You Much,
> Larry from Green Bay

How did you remove "...as much of the program that he installed, as I
could find."? An uninstall icon on the computer? The "Add / Remove
Programs" applet in the Windows Control Panel? One of the uninstall
utilities that were available for earlier Windows versions?

Where did you put that Dynamic Link Library (DLL)? Do you know how to
search the Windows Registry for references to the file? I don't have a
Windows 95 machine handy to search for that file. The closest filename I
see in Windows 98 is COMDLG32.DLL (note the "G") BUT there's a
COMDLG.DLL in the folder of a Windows 3.1 compatable application. The
installation for one of the games could have conceivably set the
registry to look for a copy of the DLL in the game's folder.

Without the installation disks this could get complicated. Don't be
supprised if you end up needing to get another set of installation
disk(s) from IBM, a used computer dealer or some place like E-Bay.

Do you have any computer qualified friends who might be willing to spend
an hour or two at your keyboard trying to straighten things out? Check
places like your newspaper's community calender or library for
information about local computer clubs.

It is a mess Robert.
I done a file search and deleted any file
pertaining to the game. It didn't have an uninstall
icon. I also tried uninstall in control panel.

Doing some research, Microsoft suggests to go into
Win. Backup and copy COMMDLG.DLL and
paste it into System. Then delete COMDLG32.DLL

Apparently the game replaced a file with a file of it's own.

The new problem is, when I try to access the file
and copy it, I get the old familiar "This program
has performed an Illegal Operation".

It may come to re-installing 95.

Larry