Mccaula718

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I just bought an opteron 170 to replace my a64 3200. I took out the old processor, put the new one in, installed the new hsf(took a long time to get on). When i booted it, the psu kindof made a hissing noise a little and then eventually booted(seemed like cpu wasn't getting power or something). It would boot and post maybe 1/10 tries. I don't believe it is a psu problem because i tried w/ another psu and it did the same thing. Do you think it is a motherboard problem? I believe i messed it up when i forced the heatsink on. I ordered a new one because i go so pissed at the other one, i litterally rip the socket off of it(the little white part where cpu pins go)

P.S. how long can a processor run if you turn it on w/o heatsink or fan installed? i did this w/ my a64 and it didn't post so i turned it off, it was hot to the touch so i am a little scared i fried it.

Mccaula718

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
i know i obviously have a mb problem now. I meant before i got mad and ripped it off. I know now not to run without heatsink. I didn't think that was a problem if it was <10s

i know i obviously have a mb problem now. I meant before i got mad and ripped it off. I know now not to run without heatsink. I didn't think that was a problem if it was <10s

Without swapping out parts I couldn't really tell you. It's odd that it would post sometimes and then not others. Possible heat issue. Possible motherboard issue. Possible proc issue.

Ripping a socket off that has a cpu connected to it could be damaging to the CPU, especially if the computer was on. I generally recommend against ripping sockets off. It's much more efficient to use the release mechanism of the heatsink and socket.

Mccaula718

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
the processor was off when i rippied the locking arm and white thing off. I just got mad and basically broke the motherboard. I'm almost positive it isn't a psu problem because both a 430w and 500 watt wouldn't work. Im almost positive it wasn't a processor problem at the beginning because neither would work after i installed the new cpu. I believe i overextended the motherboard when installing the hsf.

With that new information I'd have to say you are correct, you may have damaged some of the traces or components of the motherboard. Let us know if the new one fixes it.

When taking out aggression on a motherboard I highly recommend breaking it half over your knee, it is much more satisfying. My old boss and I once tortured a Pentium II machine by ripping it's heatsink and covers off and pouring water directly onto the processor and motherboard. It was fun.

Oh, and there was always "Operation Mac Drop". We had these old mac computers that workers held on to for some reason. So when it came time to dispose of them we took them to the second story window nearest to the dumpster and threw them 20-30 feet down. They smashed into pieces. There's your satisfaction!

PS - Don't RMA a motherboard that's missing it's processor socket

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I got the new motherboard and everything works perfect now.

Do you hear the words yet? That nagging whispering that wakes you from your slumber? The new motherboard calling to you, beckoning you, reminding you of all your humiliations, your failings, the insults, the rejections. Teach it a lesson, Mccaula. Give vent to your hidden rage! The motherboard must pay!

:twisted:

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I got the new motherboard and everything works perfect now.

Do you hear the words yet? That nagging whispering that wakes you from your slumber? The new motherboard calling to you, beckoning you, reminding you of all your humiliations, your failings, the insults, the rejections. Teach it a lesson, Mccaula. Give vent to your hidden rage! The motherboard must pay!

:twisted:

yessssssssssss (hissing sound)
it calls ussssssssssss
IT mocks usssssssssssssss!!!
slay it! DO IT!