Jun 10, 2019
Hi there! My computer was running very slowly and then froze. I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 running Windows 10. I had to force shut it down. Now when I start it, it automatically goes to a blue screen with the options of troubleshooting or turn off. There are no restore points, no system images, etc. I have tried the sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r . But I am not able to start my computer in safe mode. I am using an external keyboard as mine stopped working awhile ago. I have files that I need to access like yesterday to fulfill a customers print order. Any help would be oh so so greatly appreciated!!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
So checkdisk worked? I just ask as PC slowing down could mean hdd problems, or not.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

try this to get stuff off PC:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

fixing windows itself might be difficult, since its likely the installer won't see the external keyboard during install process. I think the best answer would be to do a reset and keep files/settings as at least that should work...

Reactions: ChanC33
Jun 10, 2019
Thank you for your help. I would also like to add that when I access BIOS the only item listed under boot is "Windows followed by a long serial number" there are no other options??

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might be best getting a repair shop to fix it.

I need to explain some things.

WIndows boot manager matches a boot method called EUFI and that matches a drive format called GPT
Before UEFI was created, there was another method that is now called Legacy, which matches a drive format called MBR
UEFI is backwards compatible, it can use MBR or GPT drives
Legacy isn't, it only supports MBR

So this is how you boot off USB on your device:
Select BIOS and change the boot menu to legacy support (not UEFI). This should boot from your bootable USB stick or external drive.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-2-pro-USB-boot-option/td-p/1490836

The problem with that is, if hdd is formatted as GPT (which I suspect it is), and you boot USB using Legacy, it won't be able to see C drive at all. So you can't save anything off drive... hence why I would get it fixed by a Lenovo repair store as they should be able to recover your files, and maybe even fix the keyboard.

Reactions: ChanC33
Jun 10, 2019
Thank you. Not that I understand much lol. It doesn't give me an option to change UEFI under boot. I also wanted to add that I get error code: 80004001

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry, I was being dumb

There are no restore points, no system images, etc.

since you can get into the blue menu, try this from there (https://www.lifewire.com/advanced-startup-options-2625805 )
from the topp menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd - that should at least let you get the files you need.

Yes, boot methods isn't something I knew much about until I started helping here

if you can get the files, you should try a reset since it doesn't need you to change anything in bios
from top menu
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
you will need to reinstall all the other programs.

you may still run into problems with the keyboard though. but at least you should be able to get those files.

Jun 10, 2019
Hi there! Thank you again for trying to help me. When I turn my computer on it goes straight to input language and then to troubleshoot. But under the troubleshoot menu there is no option to reset? Just from everything I have been reading and from your advice resetting my pc could fix my issue. Also, booting into safe mode. I cannot seem to get into safemode. I have a "one key recovery" that isn't really helping but even under that, there is no safe mode option. Sorry to be a pain. I just have no other computer and am hoping to get these files and programs running asap. Any thoughts?

Jun 10, 2019
Also, when I select system restore it says:

To use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore.

Restart this computer and select an operating system, and then select system restore

???

Jun 10, 2019
Ok so I was able to perform a system restore by using the command prompt and typing:

rstrui.exe /OFFLINE:C\Windows

It is performing the system restore now. Praying this works!!

Jun 11, 2019
Also, when I select system restore it says:

To use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore.

Restart this computer and select an operating system, and then select system restore

???
Have you got a previous version of Windows still on your PC as this message appears when doing a system restore on my dual-boot PCs where they have Windows 7 Pro & Windows 10 Pro installed.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
I don't think so. When i entered the command as specified above I was able to do a system restore but the only restore point was 6/7/2019 which was a windows critical update. That seems to be where my pc started failing

Colif

Win 11 Master
So is windows working after the system restore?

just curious which version of windows 10 is installed
if you can get to desktop
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current versions are 1803,1809 & 1903

have you copied those files you need yet?

Jun 10, 2019
I can't get past the troubleshoot screen. Everything has been working just fine until BAM!! But when I was finally able to do a system restore the only restore point was a critical windows update on 6/7. Is it possible that when my computer froze and I did a force shut down that it was in the middle of an update?

Jun 10, 2019
So is windows working after the system restore?

just curious which version of windows 10 is installed
if you can get to desktop
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current versions are 1803,1809 & 1903

have you copied those files you need yet?

No it didnt work :( . I wasnt able to copy the files either. Just stayed up for 2 days redoing them on my moms computer rhat I borrowed lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
ouch

Are there any other files you want to save?

If you have remade everything you need off the PC, we probably best do a clean install of windows to fix it.

Follow the steps to set PC to legacy: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-2-pro-USB-boot-option/td-p/1490836
does bios look like this? https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/ht500207

And boot off a Win 10 installer - I showed link to this in post 2 - and then follow this guide to reinstall win 10 - : https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

OR

take it to lenovo and ask them to fix it. They should be able to get data off it, clean install won't leave anything.