Question Please HELP

Oct 13, 2019
Keep it to 1 thread
I have a sager laptop model N870HP. 17.3" I7-7700HQ 16gb ram gtx 1060 6gb windows 10. I recently noticed that the gpu and cpu fans are not spinning. I contacted sager and replaced both of the components with new ones and it did not fix the problem. I have checked that they were plugged in correctly. My laptop still operates fine with no problems(besides very high temps at idle) the battery and the battery charger is still charging the laptop and working correctly. I have put the fans into manual mode to see if it would turn them on and it doesn't. With the view of my eye I could not see anything visually wrong with the motherboard. I'm not sure what's the next step. Is there physical diagnostic tools that what produce a code so I know the problem? Any suggestions or input would be GREAT! Thanks!

Oct 13, 2019
I have a sager laptop model N870HP. 17.3" I7-7700HQ 16gb ram gtx 1060 6gb windows 10. I recently noticed that the gpu and cpu fans are not spinning. I contacted sager and replaced both of the components with new ones and it did not fix the problem. I have checked that they were plugged in correctly. My laptop still operates fine with no problems(besides very high temps at idle) the battery and the battery charger is still charging the laptop and working correctly. I have put the fans into manual mode to see if it would turn them on and it doesn't. With the view of my eye I could not see anything visually wrong with the motherboard. I'm not sure what's the next step. Is there physical diagnostic tools that what produce a code so I know the problem? Could it be the motherboard???Any suggestions or input would be GREAT! Thanks!

Oct 13, 2019
Looking for the best way to diagnose a possible mother board issue? Tools? Software? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've replaced two cpu gpu fans because they were not spinning and it was not the problem. Thanks again!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
Is this a new build / new motherboard or an old one that has suddenly developed a problem?

Unfortunately there is never really a software solution to a hardware problem, software can only try and bring a fault to light, but it's never guaranteed. Even more so, the Motherboard and PSU are usually the hardest to diagnose. And really, the only guaranteed way to test is to replace the component with a known working one and seeing if the issue persists.

What is the exact problem you are facing?

Oct 13, 2019
I have a sager laptop model N870HP. 17.3" I7-7700HQ 16gb ram gtx 1060 6gb windows 10 PSU is a Chicony model A15-180P1A 2.5A 180W. I recently noticed that the gpu and cpu fans are not spinning. I contacted sager and replaced both of the components with new ones and it did not fix the problem. I have checked that they were plugged in correctly. My laptop still operates fine with no problems(besides very high temps at idle) the battery and the battery charger is still charging the laptop and working correctly. I have put the fans into manual mode to see if it would turn them on and it doesn't. With the view of my eye I could not see anything visually wrong with the motherboard. I'm not sure what's the next step. Is there physical diagnostic tools that what produce a code so I know the problem? Any suggestions or input would be GREAT! Thanks!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ya I've called I'm not under warranty. I hoping to find the problem myself to reduce cost and time of shipping it to them ya know
There is no easy way to test a motherboard unfortunately, even more so with laptop motherboards. The fact that you have replaced fans entirely and the issue has not gone away, would likely indicate a problem with the motherboard (assuming connections/cables etc.) have been eliminated.

Presumably the fans never budge regardless as to the load or temperature?