Question PLEASE HELP!

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
Since ive upgraded from windows 7 to 10 all my games are lagging. I tried everything, every youtube video for lag fix but nothing. I added 4GB of RAM thinking that its the problem but again nothing. I have this problem half of year and nothing is working. Please help.

Its a desktop its not that good pc but it has worked perfectly in win 7 with even 2gb of ram. PC specs:
Procesor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core
Memory: 6GB RAM
Graphics card: GeForce 310
Well it's because that's a old system and old systems with the modern software cause it to slow down initially everything seems fine but later it shows it age. My advice would be to get a ssd if you do not have which will make it a overall smoother any modern gpu upgrade will be bottlenecked by your cpu, else revert back to windows 7 64bit(although i still recommend a ssd if not present). Trust me buddy your pc has served you well.

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
Well it's because that's a old system and old systems with the modern software cause it to slow down initially everything seems fine but later it shows it age. My advice would be to get a ssd if you do not have which will make it a overall smoother any modern gpu upgrade will be bottlenecked by your cpu, else revert back to windows 7 64bit(although i still recommend a ssd if not present). Trust me buddy your pc has served you well.
I have tried going back to win 7 64bit, it didnt work. Is there any solution without upgrading??

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
Why doesn't reverting work?? What problems are you facing?For upgrades there's already no option expect for something like gt1030 and a new ssd, but i do recommend a ssd if you don't have, do you have?
I dont have a ssd, i dont wanna end up like when i bought ram and still it lagged. Can you please at least send link to download windows 7 i would try again. I dont have other choice.

I dont have a ssd, i dont wanna end up like when i bought ram and still it lagged. Can you please at least send link to download windows 7 i would try again. I dont have other choice.
Go to this section;' Download Any Windows or Office ISO Using a Free Third-Party Tool' on the link.
And a SSD makes a real difference.

last_intel_guy

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
Speaking of storage -- how much do you have free at the moment? Imagine the upgrade has left the old OS on your system, if you don't have 30gb free that could slow down things considerably as well.

May need to remove Windows.old, lots of guides on how to get rid of old OS data as it takes up a lot of space.

I recommend first checking your free storage space, and if full then downloading the latest SpaceSniffer to check what's eating your storage up.

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
Speaking of storage -- how much do you have free at the moment? Imagine the upgrade has left the old OS on your system, if you don't have 30gb free that could slow down things considerably as well.

May need to remove Windows.old, lots of guides on how to get rid of old OS data as it takes up a lot of space.

I recommend first checking your free storage space, and if full then downloading the latest SpaceSniffer to check what's eating your storage up.
I deleted windows old and also i have empty storage cuz i dont have games. My disk has 140GB from which just windows main things are taking space

last_intel_guy

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I deleted windows old and also i have empty storage cuz i dont have games. My disk has 140GB from which just windows main things are taking space

Ah gotcha. Well one of the first things I would always try if something's slow is to open your task manager and see what's being utilized. Open a few programs that cause the usual problems and keep an eye on what you see. If any columns are at really high percentages usage -- sometimes can be disk usage -- then note that down and see if any program specifically is the cause. My first guess is you need to disable Superfetch, as this Windows 10 default program runs fine on SSDs but definitely messes up HDD and should be disabled. May not be the issue if disk usage isn't spiking, but def recommend disabling.

Also if you aren't using an SSD, definitely first check your HDD heath status as you may be near the end of its life: S.M.A.R.T. and CrystalDiskInfo first. Your HDD may not be keeping up its old speeds, and overwriting the full drive with a fresh install could wear it out quicker. Lifespan depends up to drive but only guaranteed 3-5 years.

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
Ah gotcha. Well one of the first things I would always try if something's slow is to open your task manager and see what's being utilized. Open a few programs that cause the usual problems and keep an eye on what you see. If any columns are at really high percentages usage -- sometimes can be disk usage -- then note that down and see if any program specifically is the cause. My first guess is you need to disable Superfetch, as this Windows 10 default program runs fine on SSDs but definitely messes up HDD and should be disabled. May not be the issue if disk usage isn't spiking, but def recommend disabling.

Also if you aren't using an SSD, definitely first check your HDD heath status as you may be near the end of its life: S.M.A.R.T. and CrystalDiskInfo first. Your HDD may not be keeping up its old speeds, and overwriting the full drive with a fresh install could wear it out quicker. Lifespan depends up to drive but only guaranteed 3-5 years.
I did all you said and also looked tutorials to optimize drive but again lag. I dont think hdd is causing lag it 148GB and only 26GB are used.

last_intel_guy

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I did all you said and also looked tutorials to optimize drive but again lag. I dont think hdd is causing lag it 148GB and only 26GB are used.

So from the first step of opening task manager and checking you're usage, you should see the percentages and know from there what is slowing it down... unless you didn't follow that part?

Don't just open and close it, really let it run in background and as soon as you see lag look right at your task manager.

If you do and see it's high disk usage, turn off indexing as well: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/co...rmace-turn-off-indexing-on-your-local-drives/

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
I did
So from the first step of opening task manager and checking you're usage, you should see the percentages and know from there what is slowing it down... unless you didn't follow that part?
I did, i deleted two programs that together took 15% of disk usage. Disk wasnt used at all that much just 25%. But again nothing. I am now downloading windows 7 again. Can you tell me how to wipe out full windows 10 stuff even when i format hdd.

I did

I did, i deleted two programs that together took 15% of disk usage. Disk wasnt used at all that much just 25%. But again nothing. I am now downloading windows 7 again. Can you tell me how to wipe out full windows 10 stuff even when i format hdd.
See my post above to download windows 7, and when you install windows 7 during disk selection delete every partition be mindful that you don't delete your USB if installing via a USB, and trust me get a SSD

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
See my post above to download windows 7, and when you install windows 7 during disk selection delete every partition be mindful that you don't delete your USB if installing via a USB, and trust me get a SSD
I just got back to windows 7 and games are still lagging. Is there a way to fix this without buying ssd because they are pretty expensive.

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
Ssd's won't improve fps the reason i say to get ssd is because your system will become more snappier and smoother
My system is working better then perfect. But that what irritates me is games lag too much, before they didnt use to, i saw that drastic change lag one day after i changed to win 10. I am looking for solution half of year and nothing. It would mean a world to me if you help me somehow.

mateo299

Commendable
Apr 18, 2020
Check for updates and tell me, what types of games are you trying to play and specifically which games?
Well i was playing before modern warfare 3 without lag which has better graphics then black ops 1. Now im trying black ops 1 and 2 and both are lagging. Every normal game is lagging now even when i set low graphics like garrysmod and milkman karlson and every normal game with not so demanding graphics.