Question Please help

Dec 7, 2022
So to preface I've had this pc for 4/5 years and I've upgraded it a couple time, currently specs are a MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard, Ryzen 5 2600X CPU, RTX 3060 GPU, EVGA 600W BQ PSU, and 16 GB of RAM (8GB Corsair, 2x 4GB patriot). Everything ran fine until I decided to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 9 5900X. I saw that it could require a BIOS upgrade but I checked and thought it was up to date (it wasn't), so once I installed it the PC would boot up (fans, LEDs) but no display. I swapped it for the old CPU and still no display so I did a CMOS reset. That worked, but after that my A2 and B2 RAM slots wouldn't work but windows was still recognizing them, just putting the RAM in reserved hardware. I tried many different ways to deal with that but to no avail. Anyways, I upgraded my BIOS to the latest version and put the new CPU in. Upon start, it was the same problem as before - the fans and LEDs turned on but no display. This time, though, I heard popping noises and smelt a burning smell so I immediately turned it off. I inspected all my components and they looked fine, didn't see anything blown on the motherboard. I swapped back to the old CPU and it put me right back to square one, with the fans and LEDs all turning on but no display, but this time CMOS reset didn't solve it. All cables are plugged in, my monitor works fine, I'm at a complete loss. My fear is that I may have damaged the CPU socket somehow through repeatedly removing and reinstalling the CPUs and the cooling fan, or the PSU may have crapped out. There were a couple bent pins on the new CPU but I was able to straighten them out. Again I am at a complete loss and would greatly appreciate any help or advice.
Ps. USBs are still receiving power, and sorry for wall of text

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

RTX 3090 GPU, EVGA 600W BQ PSU
You're horribly underpowered for a rig that just got an RTX3090 dropped into it. Get a 1.2KW or higher wattage, reliably built, quality PSU for that build. No I'm not joking either.
View: https://youtu.be/wnRyyCsuHFQ
Thanks so much for your response, that makes sense as I've heard of similar problems coming from a bad PSU. You think the popping and burning was from the PSU? Should I consider upgrading my motherboard as well?

it's an RTX 3060, is that still too much for the PSU?
the RTX 3060 models usually require at minimum 550w, maximum 650w depending on the particular card.

a lower end 600w power supply would be skirting right on the borderline of minimum requirements of the average 3060.

you should look up the particular model that you have and see what exactly the manufacturer recommends.

Dec 7, 2022
the RTX 3060 models usually require at minimum 550w, maximum 650w depending on the particular card.

a lower end 600w power supply would be skirting right on the borderline of minimum requirements of the average 3060.

you should look up the particular model that you have and see what exactly the manufacturer recommends.
Looked it up and it said the recommended PSU supply for the GPU and CPU is 600W and 450-750W respectively so yes I may have to look into replacing the PSU lol, you think too much of a load would cause it to pop and burn like that?