Hi i will start with the components

Motherboard: Asus sabretooth 990fx
CPU: AMD phenom II
Graphics Card: Asus hd 7770 1 ghz
RAM: 2x4gb corsair vengence
PSU: 500w cit
HDD: 500gb sata western digital cavier blue
stock Heatsink

Well any way my name is josh i have recenctly started building a desktop (for the first time) i have assembled everything correctly (i think) and when i go to power it up all the LED lights flash once and then the VGA led lights up but does not turn off like the others and so does the boot device LED I REALLY would be gratefull of any help PLEASE HELP soon i need this working before christmas thank you .

Hi,
Have you connected the PCIe power cable to the graphics card? Is the gpu correctly connected?
If yes and still no POST, then I suggest testing the board outside the case, to rule out a shorting due to an extra standoff.

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

I have a six pin connected to it ? im sorry i am very new to this :??:

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

no sorry the case is the cit shadow and i bought the PSU seperate..........

socialfox

Distinguished

Okay nice to see you went out and bought a separate power supply. Technically you have enough wattage but it would be best if you posted the model of the power supply. Anyways does this computer turn on and then off? Or does it turn on but nothing occurs on the screen?

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Yes it turns on the heatsink,psu and the graphics card fan turn on but on the mobo the red vga led and boot device led stay red The model of the psu is just cit 500w im sorry for lack of information on this if it would help i could upload a picture of what is happening ?

Can you install the board outside the case, on the motherboard's box? When you installed the board inside the case, did you pay attention when mounting the standoffs so that they match the board's screw holes?

socialfox

Distinguished

CIT power supplies are not so great in build quality, some of their power supplies that are 750 watts only come with one PCI-E connector which is bad design :lol:

Also the red led lights for VGA and CPU indicate a problem. I would suggest taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in a minute. You could also have the possibility of a defective motherboard.

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

It only came with four stand offs so i used one for each of corners :p

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

I have heard of taking the cmos battery out but i would not really know how to do it just to be clear is the cmos the lithium cell near the middle ? fingers crossed its not a defective mother board :(

Hi,

So the problem you have is when you power on the computer all led on computer turns on then off but the led on screen stays on.

But then no image, no windows boot.

Question 1: When you power the computer on, do you get any beeps.

Question 2: Did you plug in the 2 power connector like in the video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILEu8m7R8E

fact 1: The PCI Express 2.0 x16
3 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8)
1 (x4 mode, black) and you videocard is pci 3 but should be retro compatible or not, I can'T find a defenitive answer on that.

fact 2500w cit I don'T know that brand so it could be alow quality and could be causing problems, maybe you could test with another psu if possible.

Good luck

socialfox

Distinguished

Yep should be that battery, all the motherboards I have only have one battery and it is near the centre (not dead centre but around there). Also if it is a defective board you just need to contact Asus and they will ship you another one after you ship the existing one back. Or you could return it to the store you bought it at if it was recently bought.

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Yes i get beeps and i get no signal on screen and it does not enter bios i have the six pin connected to the graphics card+ i have tried using the psu that came with the case as well but still nothing.......?

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

ok thanks i will give it a try :)

socialfox

Distinguished
According to the Asus Webpage 5 beep means:

CPU issue: Beep (5 short)

A. Check whether the CPU is in our CPU support list

B. Check whether there are any damagers of your CPU or CPU socket.

C. .Check whether the CPU fan is correctly connected

D. Check whether the ATX_12V power cable is connected well

E. If possible try to test with another CPU

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Sorry for it taking so long to REPLY i have been studying but back to the point i checked in the manual and it says 1 long beep followed by 4 short beeps is hardware malfunction ahhhhh so anyway i started striping things out slowly 1st the graphics card then the hdd then 1 ram then 2 ram and when i took out the ram it stayed at a continious beep indicating no ram but no vga but im starting to think its the graphics card because i dont know if the sabretooth 990fx is compatible wit PCI 3 because all slots are pci 2 PLEASE HELP ???????????

socialfox

Distinguished
PCI-E 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 slots, I know that for a fact since I am running my build like that. Also I believe the 990fx has no onboard video, so you need to have the video card in. Did you switch the ram around? There is the possibility of the motherboard itself being faulty...

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

I just switched the ram around from A2 and B2 to A1 and B1 but it made no difference..........