mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Dear Community

Hi everyone! I am having some difficulties figuring out what the heck is wrong with my computer...

The computer is relatively new, built on 27th of September 2011. The specifications are as follows:

O/S: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (Installed on SSD)
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Memory: Corsair Vengence DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) 2 x 4GB (2 kits) = 16GB in total memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super Overclock Edition
SSD: Corsair 60gb Force 3
Hard Drive: 2TB Black SATA3
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper2
Power Supply: Corsair HX-1050w

Problem:
In the first week of purchase, during startup the computer would hang on 'loading operating system' and just hang, this would force me to restart and then the computer would load up windows with no problem.
The 'loading operating system' error I temporarily fixed by using Windows 7 repair tool cmd and entering the following commands:
Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
However in later weeks this 'fix' would prove useless as the problem continues again on random start ups.

* Weeks later, new problems popped up. On start up the computer would completely shut down on windows 7 logo, and then start back up again automatically and boot properly.

* On bootup, it would hang on a black screen just before the 'loading operating system' would start, the only thing that would display was the line: -

* Upon restarting from the above, the computer has now twice popped up with the message "Your system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages".

Now this error message bothers me because I have NEVER overclocked or changed the voltages to anything. I checked the BIOS to see if the Ram was running on default setting and all seems fine. I know that the 2600k requires ram on 1.5 voltage, and that has checked out too.

I ran memtest86 and no errors have occured.

Furthermore, today I was simply going through the Steam library and my computer popped the blue screen. Upon restart the error "Your system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages" once again poppoed up.

I have no clue what to do at this point. I asked uncle google about my problems and many points lead to a faulty ram stick. Please let me know what you think, my main concern is the overclocking / voltage change error when I have never touched those settings. Or could it be as simple as the motherboard not being compatible with the Ram?

Please help me and let me know your thoughts

Thanks!!!!

Mike.

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Upon resetting the CMOS in both fail-safe default and Optimized default the computer prompts on boot up if I want to set the SATA to AHCI. If I chose yes, the computer would blue screen on windows logo and restart.

I am unsure if the SSD has AHCI enabled, is there a way to check this? I have noted that people have changed registry values and then switched it in bios as follows:

- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Msahci
- right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
- exit the registry editor.
- restart BIOS, enable AHCI

All cables are attached firmly, I chose the parts and the shop assembled it for me. I checked to see it and everything seems fine.

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
*Update 2*

I turned off the computer and started it up again:

- On start up, the motherboard logo will appear as usual (gigabyte G1 killer series etc) and it will just hang there. I was forced to reset the computer manually twice before it stopped freezing here.

- After the motherboard logo the computer jumps straight into the 'loading operating system'. Here it will hang and not load go any further, once again prompting me to manually reset. The only way I could bypass this was to go into the BIOS and once again load the 'fail-safe default- settings.

Try just one stick of ram in slot one. One bad stick can cause any number of problems, such as bluescreens. Windows will run just with one stick; you can test all the ram one stick at a time with memtest. Be very careful to remove and install each stick carefully; those slots are easy to damage. You can also flash the bios if a newer file is available. Haven't checked your board to see if it has the dual bios option. Check the post screen first; you may already have the latest bios file; if you do, don't flash.